My Muscovy babies

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cheryl98117, May 15, 2009.

1. cheryl98117

cheryl98117 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Indianola Washington
    I have to share, they are just to sweet. Sorry I dont know how to resize the pictures.

They sure are messy little things. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm so proud of these little guys. When I can get the rest to cooperate with me and the camera, I will post pictures of the rest of them.

2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Aww ...i want some so bad...i just dont like the red thing on their heads.[​IMG]

3. cheryl98117

May 13, 2009
    Indianola Washington
    At first I didnt really care for it either, but now that I have them, and have seen the adults I actually kinda like it. I guess it just grows on you. [​IMG] They are really quite pretty birds, but I guess for some they are an aquired taste.

4. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I wish i had scovies [​IMG]

I have a wild drake that i feed but other than that I have none.. and I want some.. ohh you are so lucky!!! I have 15 different breeds and none are scovies!!!

5. cheryl98117

May 13, 2009
    Indianola Washington
    To be honest, I really dont know a whloe lot about them. So this will be a learning experience for me.

Does anyone care to share any information on the breed itself? I truely would appreciate it.

6. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    They are WONDERFUL!
    At least thats what ive heard.
    The big male we have around our house makes no sound, unless of course the dogs irk him then he hisses some, so they are a quiet breed. They are a heavier wight breed so they dont need as much water as most ducks. some dont even need a pool, just the occasional dip in a large tub. they get water logged easily. Some say that they dont fly but they DO. Heck, ive been hit in the head by a flying scovie! They arent as bad as mallard or anything like that, heck, im sure that some are happy enough on the ground.
    My favorite part is that they are GREAT moms. They will even hatch eggs that arent theirs. And they wag their tails alot [​IMG]

Thats what I have gathered.

7. cheryl98117

May 13, 2009
    Indianola Washington
    Thats good to hear, I was told that the fly. But thats not really a big issue. I am however quite excited to have them. I love all of our farm birds, they are very entertaining.

The babies are outside enjoying the sunshine and grass. I will post some pictures later tonight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by