My muscovy duckling keeps sneezing

What type of bedding is in the brooder? Does it have water deep enough to stick its face and head in to clear out its nares?
I’ve been using heaps of grass that i picked and covering the bottom of the cage with it, and for water I’ve been using a frisbee and filling it with water so its not too deep but its probably not enough for him to stick his whole head in.

I’ve been using heaps of grass that i picked and covering the bottom of the cage with it, and for water I’ve been using a frisbee and filling it with water so its not too deep but its probably not enough for him to stick his whole head in.
Well this could definitely be the issue.
They might need something more absorbent than grass to absorb the moisture from their poo. Is there anyway to get a bag of shavings? Can you get a plastic bowl with a lid and cut a hole out of the lid. Like a cool whip bowl or something that generally gets tossed? That will help to keep the mess down. A frisbee is not deep enough. It is very important that they can dip their whole head to clear out their eyes and nares.
Are you planning on keeping them indoors? What are they eating?

The link I'm posting is in the duck forum sticky thread at the top and is basic care for ducklings. When you scroll down there is a pic of a bowl like I described. It's best to read the whole article for care though.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings.750869/

Well this could definitely be the issue.
They might need something more absorbent than grass to absorb the moisture from their poo. Is there anyway to get a bag of shavings? Can you get a plastic bowl with a lid and cut a hole out of the lid. Like a cool whip bowl or something that generally gets tossed? That will help to keep the mess down. A frisbee is not deep enough. It is very important that they can dip their whole head to clear out their eyes and nares.
Are you planning on keeping them indoors? What are they eating?

The link I'm posting is in the duck forum sticky thread at the top and is basic care for ducklings. When you scroll down there is a pic of a bowl like I described. It's best to read the whole article for care though.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings.750869/
Hello, thank you for the advice! I’ve started using woodchips for bedding and i have enough water for them to dip their heads in, but my duckling is still panting. Could it be an illness or is he just hot?

Hello, thank you for the advice! I’ve started using woodchips for bedding and i have enough water for them to dip their heads in, but my duckling is still panting. Could it be an illness or is he just hot?
How long have you changed the set up? How big is the brooder? Are you using a heat lamp?
What type of food are they eating?
Can you post pics of their brooder?

Back
Top Bottom