My Muscovy is sitting again!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ricklo, Sep 12, 2008.

1. ricklo

ricklo Chillin' With My Peeps

My Muscovy had 4 ducklings (out of 6 eggs)on Aug. 5th (See my Personal Picture). We let her take care of the babies and let her and them in and out of the pen at one week. All are doing great. Of Course the male started to mate with her after a few days out of the pen. Two nights ago(Sept. 10th) she started to sit on 9 eggs! I think this hatch will be better because she had an egg a day and then sat.
    The other 4 are doing great and now by themselves. Although Papa keeps them in line!
    [​IMG]

2. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Lucky you! I think my Muscovy drake must not be purebred because I stole a bunch of eggs from my Muscovy's nest (she left the first nest after only 3 weeks) and put them in the bator, but none of them started to develop after six days. She got off the first nest, waited a few days, then began laying again and went broody in less than a month. I filled her nest with chicken eggs, so we'll see if she hangs in long enough to hatch them, or if I'll have to steal them and stick them in the bator.

Good luck with your ducklings!

3. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Our neighbor has some but she won't sit on her eggs so now I can't get any. [​IMG]

4. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Huh, interesting. I JUST got Muscovys about a month ago, but none are laying that I see.

5. DulcyDoll

DulcyDoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    I have had my Muscovy hen for about 7 months, (and she was already 4 months when I bought her) and not a single egg. My drake mates with her, but she produces no eggs..

6. ricklo

ricklo Chillin' With My Peeps

Update:
    She has been sitting steady on the eggs, but today she roll one out of the nest and ate it, there look like no development,just yoke, she did this last time, I guess she knows which eggs are good and bad by the smell!!!!!
    Then she went for a swim, dried herself off and went right back on the nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by