My Muscovy is sitting on 17 chicken eggs!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by obrien2735, Sep 15, 2012.

1. obrien2735

obrien2735 New Egg

Aug 16, 2012
    Hi All

Ok so I have a very large stall for my chickens and duck. The chickens have there roosting buckets and I got the duck a dog house. A couple of chickens like to lay there eggs in the duck house until the duck starting chasing them out because she was sitting on an egg (infertal). Well I went out to check on her and her egg, and to my suprise she is sitting on 17 chicken eggs.

Can she hatch them?
    Will she kill them?
    She doesn't go in the water to much but if she does will the chicks know not to go in?

I can't think of any other questions right now but all the info you guys can give me would be great.

Thanks
    Liz

2. cochins1088

cochins1088 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    If she is broody, I imagine she would be fine hatching them, just like how we put peacock eggs, turkeys egg and such under chickens. As far as how she raises them, I don't know. I don't know a ton about ducks, but once they begin hatching, is there anyway to keep them out of water for the first couple weeks? The chicks will not be able to handle the water. She and her babies would be sad, but you could always separate them and raise the chicks by hand.

3. obrien2735

obrien2735 New Egg

Aug 16, 2012
    Yes, I can close up the entire stall, but if I do that then everyone has to stay in. I don't have aproblem with this but will the roosters be OK with little chicks? I was planning on keeping them "locked up any way, in hopes of "training" some of the chickens who don't lay in there buckets.

Thanks
    Liz

4. cochins1088

cochins1088 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    Usually the roosters are fine. Sometimes they even help raise the chicks. I have never had a rooster mess with a broody hen and her babies, though it could happen. I think it's something you will have to watch for the fist couple of days but most likely it will be fine. I think it's really sweet how my roosters treat the chicks, but every rooster is different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by