my muscovy just got ran over :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spish, Oct 19, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    my ducks free range 24/7 on my land and ive never had a problem with that, everyone knows to drive in and out slowly to avoid free rangers etc....
    well todaymy neighbours son came over to drop off a package, and i dont know what he was thinking but he drove up the lane like a bat out of hell. my younger scovies from this year were outside the gate and got startled by the engine i think, flying straight into the road. one of the young drakes flapped straight into the path of the car and was under the car in seconds, there was no time to react and stop in time i guess [​IMG](

anyhow neighbour picked up said drake and brought him up to the house, he's still alive (neighbour and duck(!)), ducks obviously in shock and all his tail feathers ripped out, and a lot of feathers missing off his left wing with lots ofbroken pin feathers and scraps.

ive got him inside but he's just sat there with a dazed look on his face. ive cleaned him up and nothing is too serious, i think he was lucky the wheel must have just caught his wing/backside, but other than putting cornflour on the ends of the broken feathers to stop the blood and clean the scraps, im not sure what else to do for him?

2. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

Are both of his pupils even and reactive to light changes. Try checking this by shining a light in his eye and then moving it out of his eye to see if his pupil changes. The light blue eyes make this a pretty easy task. You would like to see both pupils the same size in the same light and both of them having the same reaction to the flashlight. A small flashlight or penlight is the best to use. Then check his color. A good indication of shock is capillary refil time. Press firmly on his carunkling close to his beak or eye where it is smooth and when you take your finger away, the color should return completely in less than 2 seconds. If there is no color or it takes longer than 2 seconds, he is in clinical shock.

If he is in shock, keep him warm, handle him as little as possible and keep him in a quiet, low light place (I usually keep them in the shower with the heat on).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by