1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Muscovy/Pekin crosses are now 7 months old :-) Photos

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PlumTuckered, Dec 21, 2012.

1. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Their Mamma is Scrappy, she's my 3 yr old Pekin that I hatched in the house and hand raised her first 6 months, their Daddy is Shadow, my 20 month old Muscovy Drake who vanished 2 months ago :-( Here are some photos of the darlings. It's funny, they are 7 months old and they still stick real close to Scrappy and she still insists they eat with her and sleep with her. If they wander from the pond to the pasture she starts hollering for them.

[​IMG]
    She hatched out 6 but when they were six weeks old a stray dog came out of the woods to the backyard and killed two babies and savagely attacked scrappy. Her angel wing was nothing but a bloody stick and there was a deep tear from the top of her head down the back of her neck to her shoulder. I had gone in the house to get a drink and heard her quacking like crazy at the door, when I opened the door she was standing there shaking and quacking and completely red all over from the blood. With lots of meds and tlc she recovered and is doing great :)
    [​IMG]
    They are larger than Scrappy, sing like a Muscovy but will let out a faint quack when startled. They do raise their headfeathers like a Muscovy as well. I'm pretty sure 3 are hens, the fourth one has me stumped though LOL
    [​IMG]

The one in front (above photo) has 2 feathers that hang from the side of her head..you can make them out if you look closely.
    [​IMG]
    here my Mallard hen Lilbit and my Runner/Magpie cross Maggie are considering coming up the bank to see what the treat is.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The one above they are with their "cousin" , Mario Blue Boy, my 7 month old Muscovy Drake (they all have the same Daddy)
    [​IMG]
    All four of them fly, I've seen them fly 4 feet above the ground and about 10 feet above the ground all the way down to the pond from the duck pen.

Michelle

2. melissamerry

melissamerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2012
    Goleta, California
    How darling! I seriously love the color of the babies! Im so glad a few managed to survive that attacked. [​IMG]

3. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Pretty, Pretty!

4. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    They are very pretty.

5. Valntyn

Valntyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Central Maine
    Wow! So pretty!!!

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Those are really pretty! now you have me intrigued, the only probably i don't have a pekin [​IMG]

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They are beautiful Michelle, what a nice cross between Muscovy and Pekin.

8. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Thank you for the sweet words Everyone! I'm tickled to bits with them, nothing like having my 2 favorite breeds of duck all in one LOL

Michelle

9. animalz11

animalz11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    QLD Australia
    I love the contrasting colour on them, but I guess it would be hard to tell Drake from Hen, considering they don't have much of the red comb nor the curly tail feather... good luck though.. Very pretty!

10. bemba

bemba Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    Oh wow! Hybrids are so pretty! And these are more stunning examples!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by