My Muscovy, Snow White gave me a bill thrashing this morning.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Buttercup Chillin, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Snow White is the last of my original Muscovy Ducks from a few years ago. So she's been around awhile and quite comfortable at telling me things. She let the other young ducks lay in her nest until a few days ago, I think. She started sitting 2 days ago, so I am expecting a Xmas day hatch.[​IMG]

I was out doing my chores, minding my own business. Was changing out the water in the young quail pen at the outside sink. She comes out of the duck house and gets up on the table nearby. She then proceeds to give me a loud bill thrashing.[​IMG] Just squeaking at the top of her lungs, or is it bill. [​IMG] So I figure she wants fresh water just for her. Try that, NO. I went back in the Duck House and there are 4 eggs next to her nest from the other ducks laying this morning. [​IMG] Now yesterday, they were kind of covered so I tucked them into her nest. I quess I blew it. [​IMG] She's used to me colllecting eggs after a duck sits and I didn't this morning. She wanted them out. Stood at the door watching me to make sure I took them. When I did she cooling waddled back to her nest and proceeded to sit. How is that for being told off first thing in the morning. [​IMG]

Quess she thinks enough is enough and doesn't want anymore to sit, so get them out a here. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  2. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    [​IMG]

Too funny! She really told you didn't she?! [​IMG] I swear, my muscovy are the most stuck up ducks I have. Even when mine aren't setting they want absolutely nothing to do with the mallard derived ducks and even put their noses..errrr bills... in the air when the other ducks get to close. They won't bathe with them, graze with them or even sleep with them if they don't have to. I am convinced muscovy are snobs. And I adore them.[​IMG]

3. Buttercup Chillin

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Snobbish, I think so, and quess I better fix the bill - beak thing. She really had me going.

I bet she dropped the board on those eggs the last 2 times and I was just to slow to catch on to her. I have a board in there to protect the hatching nest from drafts from the pop door and its been down, last 2 days. So yesterday, DH put a screw in it so it wouldn't get knocked down and crush any eggs. TO bad it was nice to just take it out of the way to clear out the area. Now I'll have to crawl under their little hay loft to get back there.

Bet she was trying to get rid of the other ducks eggs (they are all Muscovies) and I wasn't taking them away. So she was trying to deal with it. She's the top matron now and wants it her way or no way.

4. MysticalMom

Jul 1, 2009
    Your story still has me giggling. My top matron, Lucille, is very particular about her nest too. And it's funny, one or two of the other muscovy girls are older than her, but they seem to defer to her most of the time anyway.

Gosh they're a pain in the butt sometimes aren't they? Good thing for them we ADORE them as much as they NEED us. [​IMG]

5. Buttercup Chillin

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Quote:UMmmm. I think your duckies have you hornswaggled, I don't think they really need us as much as we need them, at least in my case. Coarse I have only had them a few years and evidently I am still learning duck language. I must be really making some big mistakes, for her to go through all this hysterical theatrics.

6. MysticalMom

Jul 1, 2009
    They definitely have me hornswaggled!!! But I am not too slow to realize they ONLY need me for the peas.[​IMG]

7. Buttercup Chillin

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Oh, my. I just read your sig line. What in the world do you do with all those duck eggs. I can hardly give them away here.

Peas. Ya, I find they love pea soup, I just make it thick then thin it out for them when I dish it out. (Hey, split peas are cheaper than frozen peas any day). But they have to share with DH, he eats it plain right along with them. YUM. [​IMG]
    Try planting a garden of kale. Its fenced off. They line up along the fence and sniff it, then sit there and stare at it. I feel sorry for them, so I chop up some Romaine or Kale and bring it out to them. Happy Duckies. Until the next day when they make their rounds around the yard again.

Oh, the ducks went in tonight, I walked by and Snow White was up on the Roost with the Drake playing nosey, well billy. Said Snow White what are you doing? She gets down and went back to her nest. [​IMG] She's a character this time around. See before her hatch mates wouldn't let her sit a nest until my Drake passed and then all 3 set nests. But there were problems. They treated her and her ducklings bad (killed all but one). I felt sorry for her and kept her. I think she's doing great now. But we'll see what happens.

I wonder if I should remember to collect the other 4 eggs tomorrow. Just to see what she'll do next. Naw, I want her to sit these and she is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by