My Muscovys are not laying?!?! Please help

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Riverside Barn, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Riverside Barn

Riverside Barn Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2013
    Maine
    I am new to having ducks so I need all the help I can get! I recently found out that I have a food allergy to chicken eggs so I decided to get some ducks because I love eggs. I went to a animal auction and bought 6 muscovy ducks and 1 muscovy drake. After I bought them I only got two eggs and then they stopped laying and have not laid any eggs since. I thought this may have something to do with just getting them and not being used to me or there surroundings but I have had them a little over a month now and still no eggs. Is there something I could be doing wrong? or do ducks stopping laying for the winter? I have so many questions and have not found any good websites that can answer them. If you have and ideas for me please share!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] In my experience muscovies have been seasonal layers - laying from spring through early autumn at best - with several breaks for broodiness. Many of the mallard derived breeds are far better for maximum egg production.

3. Riverside Barn

Riverside Barn Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2013
    Maine
    Thank you! I was worried I would end up with a breed that did not lay much but all I could find were call ducks and muscovy in my area. Maybe next spring I will order some.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Go down to the Ducks section and talk to the members there also. They'll be happy to advice you.

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

8. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by