my muscovys are not laying??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by farmerswifeony, Mar 25, 2013.

1. farmerswifeony

farmerswifeony Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2012
    SWW
    Hi there, I have 4 hens and 3 drakes. They are all a year old come june. None of them have begun to lay yet. Is this normal? I was told they would lay at 6 months.
    [​IMG]

2. razvanM

razvanM Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    My muscovies are laying well,and yes they should start at about 6 monts,I had a even duck that started at 5 months and a half.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Well depends, i did have some Muscovy start to lay at 4mths BUT that doesn't mean all of them will. I have a few under 1yo right now, we're hit n miss with laying but then so is our weather lol How is yours? Personally, until they are a full 1yo i don't worry that much, what are they being fed, do they have a safe area in which to lay?

Is that them in the picture? they look healthy, how are they acting, they seem normal otherwise? For what it's worth, we're hovering at freezing or just slightly above, i am getting 6 eggs a day, that is from 8 ducks... 1 is with a clutch so she's out, and one clearly isn't laying but hard to say who and if the same are laying each day, i usually spot the 'starter' eggs they are smaller but they can surprise you.

Mine usually lay in their mini barn, they aren't let out till after 9AM so eggs should have been laid by then but not always, the odd one will return to the barn later on. They are fed flock raiser with free choice oyster shell and have a fenced area of a 1/3acre plus are allowed to free range in times of good weather.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by