My Muskcovys eggs hatch and I find them dead all around the pen..

Marggy

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 9, 2013
I have a muskcovy duck that's been sitting on her eggs for over 5 weeks she started with 9 eggs I have been waiting patiently for them to hatch. In the last week I have found dead baby's around the pen. All a day or two apart. One looked like it had some yoke still attached and was a fair distance away form the mother. One I found in a water tray with only a couple of centimeters of water.. In total I have found 4 dead ducklings and have 3 eggs missing. I have taken the remaining 2 eggs and have them in a Tupperware bowl with my desk lamp on them. I'm lost in what to do!! :rolleyes:
I put the eggs to my ear and they both are alive as I can hear there heart beat and they both quack.. I read that they must be sprayed with water is this true..
Another thing that has me baffled there are no egg shells in the pen! Does the mother eat the shell?
Im in Australia and have 20 acres I have goannas that come around so we put he in a closed pen with cement floors she has plenty of hay to nest.. She is very devoted to her eggs but I had to take them as I wasn't sure if she was killing them or what was happening..

Any help would be appreciated..
What do I do with these eggs..

Hello
frow.gif
and Welcome to BYC! You might want to post on the BYC Ducks board about the problems you are having with the eggs and what might be happening. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks Sorry the hatch isn't going well.
X 2 Welcome to BYC.

Back
Top Bottom