1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My mutant chickie.........pics

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by luvmychicknkids, Jun 27, 2008.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Well, here is my little victim of post office x-rays. She has only one eye and a badly crossed beak, and a HUGE will to live. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. normajean

normajean Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Howell, MI
    Oh my....I am so sorry about your chick. Best of luck to you and the little one...and she is a cutie!

3. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Awwwwwww, she is adorable.

4. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Thanks, guys. [​IMG] I really didn't expect her to make it (most of them didn't) but she is a little fighter. I think, if I can get her to eat and she does alright, she will end up spoiled rotten!!!

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't think it's caused by Xrays.....it's just a defect that pops up now and again.

6. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Oh my, poor little baby. How is she eating right now? Do you have to make her or does she eat on her own?

7. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    If it is a defect then bad breeding can be the cause.

8. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Well, this box was in shipping for almost a week, had several mutations of the few that hatched, most died, I had broken eggs, scrambled yolks.....I am pretty sure it is x-ray related. I know a woman with a deformed child due to x-rays before she knew she was pregnant. I KNOW x-rays can cause deformities.

She didn't fully come out of her egg until today so she hasn't eaten yet, but she did get a drink on her own a bit ago. I am kinda dreading finding out how feeding goes, but we will just cross that bridge....ummm....a little later. [​IMG] She is really acting healthy and bouncing all over the place with the other babies right now. [​IMG]

9. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    My last little mutant is now catching up, at 15 weeks, to everybody else. She had slow and irregular feathering, was nearly naked all along her spine for quite a while, unsteady on her feet, used to walk sort of in circles as a babe, took forever for her legs to start to feather (she's a dark brahma) . . . and now behold this little pullet, who had t work so hard for weeks and weeks just to get something to eat or drink: she's practically top f the pecking order, never picked on by others, and doing just great.

Go figure!

Keep us posted on your unusual little chick. Best to you!

10. flock-mama

flock-mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    I hope you get to spoil her!! [​IMG] So cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by