1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My, my time flies and they grow FAST! *Lots of pics*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fluffpuffgerbil, Feb 22, 2014.

1. fluffpuffgerbil

fluffpuffgerbil Chillin' With My Peeps

I got my chicks on 2/7 and they are doing GREAT! You can see them growing overnight! Here's the intro pics from when I first got them. They might be older than 2 days in those pics, but I just randomly guessed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Itty bitty fuzz butts, all very soft and snuggly

When I got them up until today, they've been in a Pack n Play porta crib and that served them real well, but I noticed the last couple days they've looked a bit cramped....

Here's an early pic of them in their brooder:
    [​IMG]
    That is a very small section of their 2x3 pack and play. The food trough is 12" long for reference

Well, here they are after one week of growth
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I thought that they had grown a ton in that first week, but looking at them now.... wow.
    Also, we had been planning on getting an Easter Egger instead of a Rhode Island Red, but I'm actually really glad that all the EEs at the feed store were reserved--- so we picked out a RIR like my mom wanted, and Pepper has become everyone's favourite chick, and she is definitely a very calm and people friendly chick. (They're all people friendly, actually)

Oh bonus pic: Anna and our french lop(?) Fumble AKA Bruce Banner/the Hulk(he throws tantrums but is also a sweetie, and he just got his new hutch today! =D)
    [​IMG]

Well, it wasn't long that they started roosting on the edge of the crib, which had no top except for some fitted sheets which kept them from jumping out when I was gone or sleeping
    [​IMG]
    At first just Alice and Lacey were able to jump out. But slowly over the next couple days, everyone caught on. It didn't help I moved their roosts only to make it easier for them to jump out.... Here's a few nights after everyone was able to get up--- I caught them all napping up here. =)
    Some more pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It quickly got to the point where they were spending all their time on the edge of the brooder or flying from there to my chair to visit me, only to fly back to the brooder and roost, or jump down for some food, water, and maybe a dust bath in their sand box. =)

Here they were Friday(2/21):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After like, 90 pics of them, I found 6 decent ones of each. They were NOT cooperating for pics Friday! =P Silly things

Also, chicks don't make good drawing buddies. I was sketching last night and I was very concentrated on my picture and suddenly BAM! I get hit by Lacey who flew at me from the brooder and landed right on me! Then Alice, Lacey's BFF, followed her and well, luckily they didn't poop on my drawing, but chicks don't make very good drawing buddies.
    And their brooder's in my bedroom along with my 15 or something lizards, rats, and bug colonies. It's gone a lot better than I thought! So FAR I haven't had TOO many dust issue--- I can definitely see the dust on their heat lamp hood, and at this point I'm not sure if they even need their heat lamp. They barely spend any time under it and haven't been making any loud chirps to tell me they're cold. They did that the first days I had them--- chirp SUPER loud to tell me that they were unhappy with how cold it was. Now they only chirp SUPER loud if I have someone's bestie out without them.

And last but not least, here are some pics of my new brooder, which measures around 5'x4'--- more than enough room for them for awhile. It's not very tall around most of the edges, but I don't care if they jump out onto the floor(they haven't jumped out yet in this new brooder, but it's only been about an hour since they've been in it).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are all pecking at the metal stand of their heat lamp hook. The white piece was holding their roost dowel in the other brooder.

It's amazing how fast you get to learn their personalities and stuff! =D It's been a lot of fun so far and I've only had them for 15 days!! Definitely looking forward to what lies ahead. We're working on planning out their coop which we plan on building next month.
    What I did with their brooder, because it is at the end of my bed, was tape three home depot cardboard boxes together, and on the bottom, tape another down so no carpet is exposed, then I laid down black plastic trash bags, and on top of that laid down newspaper and I covered it all in pine shavings. My mom said she was impressed with how well I'm doing with the chicks. =) I'm surprised she's surprised. She had no idea what to expect when we got them, but she hasn't had to do any work with them since I've completely taken over them. Also, they like me better than everyone else, but they do see me and interact with me almost 24/7.
    I need to get out to the feed store and get them a bigger better waterer and feeder.
    But until then, there are my chickies. ^,^
    Hope you enjoyed the pics!

2. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Great pics! Beautiful chicks and I love the bunny:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by