1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My mystery breed!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chickobsessed17, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Chickobsessed17

Chickobsessed17 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2015
    Florida
    I was sold this as a "I dunno, Astralorp maybe?" Jet black no blue green tint, soft furry legs and feet no rooster tail feathers, 12 weeks old, stayed smaller than the fayoumis it came with. Fluffy "cap" on its head. Thinking bantam... Butwhat's the rest! Haha! Polish? Sumatra?

2. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Feathered feet and fluffy head. . polish, sultan, or silkie...

Probably polish based on your description, as you didn't say the bird was "fluffy" lol; do you have a picture?

1 person likes this.
  3. Chickobsessed17

Oct 26, 2015
    Florida
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I have MUCH better pics coming! Even of the weird feet with the double toes!

4. Chickobsessed17

Oct 26, 2015
    Florida
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Aha! Detail you left out before, 5 toes ;)

Sultan :)

Cool looking, like she has a toupee lol :D

6. Chickobsessed17

Oct 26, 2015
    Florida
    I added pics, my phone app wasn't working for some reason. Ever since new iPhone update.
    He/she/it sticks with the fayoumis that came with him. I would like to say I rescued them, didn't know what I was getting. Thy were covered in the worst case of lice/mites I ahve ever seen. Good old vaseline and some powder from a friend cured that awhile back. Now we have respiratory crud going around and 8 birds with coryza ( I think) eye problems just will not go away! Think all my fayoumis are male ;( Maybe one has a chance at being a pullet.... Funny how my first initial set of birds are all healthy as can be....accept one died of mareks. Anyway, let me know what you think

I added more pics here...[​IMG]Oh LOOK a "laying maran" yeah ok. Not only NOT a female, but the female who came with her as a maran was a barred rock LOL!!! Awesome layer though has laid eveery day since we got her! <3 her. He is a meany pants, and probably a Maran for sure. His coloring is black and hers is a beautiful brown.

[​IMG]Here is the whatever on the side of a "rain water" tub that we put ACV in.

[​IMG]That fayoumi looks like the other with that defined dark tail and RED comb

[​IMG]

If you can look closely this fayoumi posing sideways for us, much lighter tail, smaller bird and not as red in the face. She had fowl pox three weeks ago and recovered like a champ.

WHAT DO WE ALL THINK?

7. Chickobsessed17

Oct 26, 2015
    Florida
    AHHAHAHAHA!!!!! Ok ccool! Well the people didn't even know what fayoumis were! I heard they are a rare Egyptian ? But now I have what I think to be two males and I am not supposed to have males where I live....too loud. Although the rooster I do have is 10 months old, still growing in his spurs but he hasnt said a word!

Love my birds. Thanks for the input! Is it a bantam??
    How do we tell female or male on this one? No spur I can feel or see.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't think we have black Sultans, do we?

I'm thinking a silkie/cochin mix.

9. Chickobsessed17

Oct 26, 2015
    Florida
    With the toes ya think? I am no expert. LOL Is it a bantam?

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yeah, bantam cochin/silkie mix. The 5 toes from the silkie are dominant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by