1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My mystery lady... looks like quail to me

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mamachicken888, Sep 26, 2011.

1. mamachicken888

mamachicken888 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    East Oklahoma
    This one has me stumped, but that's not hard to do since I'm a newbie to chicken farming.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    She does look quailish.....That chick does have a Bobwhite look to it! But she's a chicken.....See that single comb? But I do see what you're noticing! [​IMG]

3. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

EE maybe?

4. mamachicken888

Sep 23, 2011
    East Oklahoma
    Well, if she is an EE, she sure don't look like her sisters.[​IMG] Here's one of my EE's and she is twice as big as 'Mystery Lady'.

[​IMG]

5. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Sussex Roo?

6. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Where'd ya get her from? That looks a bit like the pics of speckled sussexes I've seen. I was looking at chick pics one day and even my 8y/o wanted to know how the nice lady (in the pic) got such a big bobwhite baby.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  7. mamachicken888

Sep 23, 2011
    East Oklahoma
  8. mamachicken888

Sep 23, 2011
    East Oklahoma
    Quote:Haha Chin... my hubby ordered them on-line and they came as an 'assortment pack'... and are they EVER! We ordered 2 dozen, got 25, and lost 4 right away. Poor little things just never would start drinking or eating. They were so weak - we did everything we could incuding trying to dropper feed them water. We had a funeral a day for the first 3 days, then 2 days later had the last one. It seems like the rest are pretty healthy - with the exception of one lady with a prolapse. But she is eating and drinking so we're hoping she makes it.

9. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    My first thought was a welsummer cockerel but sussex looks similar. EEs can look so different. I would think thought that it is male.

10. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    I don't know on the breed, but I'm sure that's a little cockerel there. The comb is way too big for it to be a pullet at that age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by