My naked neck rooster is not nice!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hd_darcy, Jul 8, 2010.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    GRRRR.... I think we have to re-home our first chicken [​IMG] He is our only LF, and the rest are bantams. I was hoping he'd be okay, but apparently not. He's went after my 5-year old son twice now. Chased him once, and another time jumped up at him. They are free-ranging right now, so it makes matters worse.. Not sure if they will always be free-ranging, but it's working out so far while our run is NOT built. Anyway, is there any hope for him, or is it best to send him down the road? I am leaning toward sending him down the road...... And I don't know if we've ever gotten rid of a "pet" before. I hope my kids handle it well...ugh...

2. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    He could always have an 'accident' while they are at school. I've noticed most 'accidents' happen when my daughter is at school.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The potential for serious injury to a child's eyes or face is real. Get rid of him before something really bad happens.

4. hd_darcy

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Okay, thank you for the advice! So, my next question is "are most roosters mean?" I know a lot are... but is it possible to have a "nice" one?! I'd love to have a couple, but certainly not at the jeopardy of my kids safety!

5. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    All roosters have the potential to be "mean", when they are trying to defend territory and their flock.
    My roosters have all been great- but we have no children, dogs, or other smaller-than-adult sized animals. A 5 year old is small enough to be percieved as a threat, in that they are the same size as a dog/raccoon, or other predator. They don't know the difference, can't be taught it, and if he's attacking him now, he probably won't stop. You should either rehome him, or keep him penned up, which wouldn't be a lot of fun for him since his girls are all free-ranging [​IMG]

6. hd_darcy

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for your thoughts as well. I tried to tell the kids that he wasn't trying to be mean, but that he's just doing what he thinks is his job... I was hoping he'd be okay as I've heard Turkens are normally not aggressive. Oh well...sigh... My 5-year old is constantly picking up one of the bantams that are his (I think he's a rooster too). A few times a day I suppose. Maybe the Turken is getting tired of it [​IMG]

7. katdam

katdam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    texas
    my roosters freak out when i pick up our hen...they don't attack me but thay circle me and watch me very closely....i bet that's why he attacked your son because he's picking the hens up....i have a 7 yr old and a 4 yr old and i don't let them go in the run with me..when you get your run finished if your son still wants to hold the hens lock up the rooster in the coop..that way everyone is happy...that's what i would do

8. hd_darcy

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Ugh.. my husband who "doesn't even like chickens" says "poor misunderstood rooster", and doesn't want to get rid of him!! .ugh.. He could make this easier on me since, like I said before I don't remember ever having to get rid of a pet ever...in my life... I did have to get rid of my two horses years ago. I think that was my only time in my life that we "got rid of" a pet [​IMG]

And our chickens are 100% pets..GRR...

9. embkm

embkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    Get rid of the rooster or keep him penned up. He could do some serious damage to your son. Feeling sorry for the roo won't help much if he manages to claw your son and really hurt him. There are some nice roos out there... too many to waste your time and take chances with an aggressive one.

10. Sundown_Farmer

Sundown_Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Non-Chicago, Illinois
    If you're asking my opinion, free-range the children and confine the chickens somewhat. If that's not an option, pressure cook the rooster to make it tender. Whatever you do, don't turn your back in the barnyard.

From where I'm sitting, picking up hens is a good way to tick off a rooster. Never rub another man's rhubarb. Respect what roosters are and what they want... to prove they are dominant and can protect their mates.

My kids have been told to stay out. The roosters know I'm boss but I had to have a discussion with my New Hampshire Rooster. He brought out the spurs but ended up hiding in the corner. Great rooster now. My oldest son needs to have the same talk with the Plymouth Rock rooster.

My kids (maybe most kids) aren't good at establishing and maintaining the high spot in the pecking order. Too much fear. I have the same problem with my dad's horses. It's hard to discipline appropriately when you're angry or scared. Discipline may be required from time to time but abuse is not to be tolerated.

Can you have a nice rooster? Roosters seem to evaluate people individually. They may be nice to you but that doesn't necessarily translate to how they'll respond to a stranger. Further, they may be nice now but not next spring. You just never know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by