My Naked Necks are freezing to death!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Buxton Ducks, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Buxton Ducks

Buxton Ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    I did a lot of research before buying my flock of six Turkens (1 rooster and 5 hens) this spring. They are fully feathered out and were happy and healthy until this week. The temps have plummeted to single digits the past 5 nights and each night. My poor roo, Amadeus, was the first to go. I went to feed them on wednesday and he was fluffed up on the ground. I put him in the brooder with the heat lamp but he died that afternoon. Friday I lost Shirley, she had fallen dead off the perch in the middle of the night. Today I lost Ruth; I found her huddled under the ramp to the henhouse. Mildred is next, I just put her in the brooder but she can't stay there all winter (if she makes it). Gladys and Doris are still in the coop and look fine for now but tonight is supposed to be the coldest night we have had. I was worried about my silkies and frizzle this winter but not these guys. The brooder is too small for more than 2 adult chickens (it is 3' by 3'). I also have a silkie in the brooder right now who accidentally got shut out of the coop friday night and she almost froze to death. There are 30 birds in my 8x8 coop and everybody huddles at night. There are no low drafts, just vents up high.

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I am so sorry to hear of the deaths of the Turkens - I too have Turkens/Naked Neck ( as they are called here in Europe ) and I have had no problems despite dreadfully cold weather here - even the river that flows through our land freezes over...Here the Turkens are known as a very hardy breed and they are popular in Russia and eastern Europe in general.

It may well be that the sudden drop in temperature was too much for them - I am so very sorry and hope that your other girls survive the awful weather conditions you are experiencing. I too have Silkies and am ever amazed that they do not seem to suffer in the freezing weather conditions - bizarre!

Suzie

3. Buffygirl

Buffygirl Out Of The Brooder

You could make little chicken pajamas for them! :)

4. Buxton Ducks

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    Ha ha ha I am already crazy enough, but maybe a sock over their bare neck!?

5. Buxton Ducks

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    Thank you Suzie! I think what happened is that my birds must have already been weakened by the coryza that spread through the flock about a month ago. The added cold weather must have been too much for them. I added electrolytes and vitamins to their water and the remaining 3 naked necks seem to be holding up good. I just ran to the feed store to pick up more vitamins and they had a naked neck/polish cross rooster that they gave me. He looks like a red pyle polish with a bright red naked neck! He will be a good replacement for my poor Amadeus.

6. Buffygirl

Buffygirl Out Of The Brooder

That is really awesome to hear! Just remember to isolate before adding him to your flock so you don't get more diseases.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by