My Name is Duke, I am the packing peanut from MM. What do you think I am???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WyoChickenMamma, Mar 24, 2012.

1. WyoChickenMamma

WyoChickenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    I just have a gut feeling that this little guy is a roo, he was the free rare and exoctic that came with our order from MM. He is a week old today. I looked at the pictures of chicks on their site and I think he could be a Dark Brahma. What do you all think? He does have feathered legs/feet and has a beautiful head/face.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. WyoChickenMamma

Jul 6, 2011
    Anybody have an idea?

3. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Looks like a dark brahma to me, too. :)

4. Zach123

Zach123 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    Denver, Colorado
    does s/he have striping down the back? If not then it might not be a dark brahma, but then again, it might be. I know with MM's light brahmas, the chicks look nothing like light brahma chicks so I dont know if this is something common with all their breeds or if its just because commercial hatcheries tend to have a particularly hard time breeding the columbian pattern true.

5. WyoChickenMamma

Jul 6, 2011
    Yes, it does have the dark striping down the back. :)

6. GrunHerz

GrunHerz Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2012
    SE. Texas
    Sicilian Buttercup maybe?

7. WyoChickenMamma

Jul 6, 2011
    I looked at those and the video from MM, they are super cute and have similar markings on their heads, but Duke has feathered out legs and feet. Buttercups are cleaned legged and they are much lighter in color than him. But after reading about them just now and watching that little video one or two might be in my future flocks, just for the pretty coloring. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by