My Name is Justine....and I am a chicken addict

pfenning_pfarm

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 15, 2010
Springfield,VT
Hello everyone!

So I just learned that I have a chicken problem. We have our very first flock that we started yesterday. We were due to have 6 chicks total, but 2 were hatched earlier than the other four (different breeds). Because we were so excited we went and picked up the first 2. Although they are seriously mischevious, I am absolutely in love. (This is way better than TV, I may cancel the cable)We got a call from the woman who was hatching the chicks ( she is fantastic btw!) and told us they were ready....oh and by the way I have some leghorns that you may be interested in as well that hatched also. Soooooo instead of the 6 we originally planned on, we now have 8. I am super glad that we did, cause I know I would be kicking myself if I didn't get em. Our happy new flock consists of 2 silver laced wyandottes, 2 gold laced wyandottes, 2 delawares and 2 white leghorns. And believe it or not, the hubby to be didn't even blink when I mentioned the additional 2...he just said, well the coop and run will be plenty big enough for 8...or even more. I think we may need a meeting. If I can figure out how to post pics, I will do so sometime soon, but I am still very new to the site and have no idea what I am doing. Just wanted to share my excitement with you all!

Well you figured that out early, it took me

3 Polish
4 Hamburgs
5 Easter Eggers
3 Duccles,
3 OEGBs
and 7 Comets to figure out i had a *problem*
big_smile.png

Wow, you recognized you had a problem right away!

It took me a while to understand I had it. I don't think a nine-chicken flock is all that bad (which is what I had up until this February). Chick Season at the feed store this past February hit me hard. And it's not over yet!

I am now up to 22 chickens and 2 ducks. 8 of the 9 grown chickens are laying (the 9th is the rooster), I have five adolescents integrated with them, four more due to come of the brooder this coming weekend, and four more in another brooder, only 3 weeks old.

My name is Linda and I am a chicken addict - and in excellent company!

Last edited:
Yeah...I definitely catch on quick! The upside is it can't get much worse, cause our yard really isn't that big, the down side is it can't get much worse cause our yard isn't that big,lol. Besides I figure there are much, much worse things to be addicted to
big_smile.png

Welcome to the addiction and to BYC! Our addiction is bad. We have 7 guineas, 21 ducks + the 2 muscovy ducklings we picked up at chicken stock this past weekend, 2 goslings we picked up
at chickenstock, we had 25 chicken + 10 babies and a bunch of eggs in the bator. Oh and 5 or 6 broody ducks sitting on nests.
th.gif

Forgot to add we should be getting 6 Delaware chicks next week.
hide.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
wait til they get old enough to spoil them with treats
wink.png

I totally agree on them being way better than tv. even my tv addict husband sat and watched them for several hours when we first got them home.

and to think, we almost got an aquarium and fish instead
gig.gif

Hi Justine, I too am an addict!! I'm still searching for a 12 step program for "chickenholics"..... I started with 3 chicks, now 6 weeks old, have read every book on chickens the library has to offer, subscribe to Backyard Poultry, have stalked employees at The Mill (our local feed store) and Tractor Supply.... They run now when they see me coming!

T.V.? what's that? haven't used mine since I got the chicks
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom