1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My naughty boy (Cockerel)! HELP!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Margit, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Margit

Margit New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    I have four day old chicks, one hen and one cockerel all were getting along fine, the cockerel was even pushing back straw for hen and chicks to find spilt feed. i thought everything was great until yesterday it all went wrong; first my daughter comes running in saying the cockerel was trying to get one of the chicks in his mouth, i thought she may have been mistaken. when i went to check on them it was chaos the cockerel was standing on the hen (was he trying to mate with her?) the hens was trying to attack him and there were little chicks running round not knowing what to do. Obviously the first thing i did was remove him with no where else to put him he spent the night in our wet room. this morning i tried to reintroduce him. the second i let go of him he ran straight back towards the hen and jumped on her again. now he has gone back in solitary confinement of the wet room. we currently have heavy snow (yes it should be spring) so he doesnt want to be outside. any suggestions what hes doing? Why? and if, when and how I can reintroduce them?
    Thanks

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I'm wondering if you made a mistake on the age you posted. These chicks are only 4 days old? Does the chick that the cockerel keep jumping on have something that he's picking at -- a cut, feathers sticking out? They're WAY too young to be seeing mating behavior.

3. Margit

Margit New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    Sorry i realise its not clear. I have one cockerel, one hen and 4 young chicks. it is the cockerel who is jumping on hen not the chicks.

4. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Oh!! Sorry!! I didn't read it correctly -- you said that and I read it wrong.

There is a good chance they may not coexist very well until those chicks are older. Can you keep them in the same coop, but divide it somehow so the rooster can't get in with the hen and chicks? Then he'll get used to seeing them all, but won't be able to hurt them until they're old enough to get away from him.

5. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Just try to make the divider something they can see each other through but that the chicks can't get through. Plastic yard fencing might work with a piece of wood across the bottom to keep the chicks from slipping through?

6. miquwid

miquwid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Western NY
    My Coop
    A divider makes a lot of sense, I'm happy though that you were able to stop everything f before something really bad happens. If a divider doesn't work try dividing the run and just attaching a separete smaller coop like an old plastic dog crate. best of luck, let us know what you do and what seems to be working for you.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How old are the hen and cockerel? Do the day old chicks belong to the hen? Um, could just be mating, that happens you know ;-)

8. Margit

Margit New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    Wish me Luck have decided to put a divider up so they can see each other but he cant do any harm. Will move him in tonight hopefully things will go smoothly. Would really like them to all eventually get on. Chicks do not belong to them both hen went broody on one egg which she allowed to get cold, we purchased some fertile eggs with just a few days to go before they hatched, She is a fab mom and is taking very good care of them. Hen and Cockerel are both under a year old and we're raised together so it would be a shame if we had to let him go.

9. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I hope it goes well! It may be a while though. Keep us posted! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by