My near future coop.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Royd, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    Back in '91, I was the superintendent, on a job, remodeling the gymnasium, at the Florida School for the Deaf and Blind.

The actual gymnasium/basketball court, had heavyduty, prison grade screens on the windows.
    Due to upgrades in the HVAC system, the old windows were being blocked up. Well, guess who had access to those thousands of dollars worth of screens.

They have spent the better part of their time, in retirement, leaning up against a fence, with the occasional one, used to dry onions or peanuts, before storage.

When I acquired my chickens this spring, I put them to good use, by simply tying them together, with old electrical wire, to form my existing coop.
    [​IMG][/img]

I plan on starting a crop of meat birds, soon, and need to get busy, on something more permanent, so, after much mulling of the mind, I sat down, today, and put it all on paper, in some detail.

The screens are the controlling factor, in all of my measurements. Otherwise, I could have easily gone out, and put something together, without too much thought.

My idea is to have two separate coops, in one building, with the ability to remove partitions, and make it one coop.

Here are the plans, which I drew up..I have been in costruction, since'75, so some details, are simply left off, because I don't need any reference.

I hope you can follow the plans. After the preview, some of it, is hard to read, but I hope you enjoy it, anyway.

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    WOW!!! Is this going to be Fort Knox or San Quentin? I don't see any preditor issues....period. Take lots of pictures.

3. kywilber

kywilber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Lewisburg, Ky.
    sweet can't wait to see pics. I am in the process of drawing plans for me also. Just added a pic of it to my thread to get some feed back.

4. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Now that is one AWESOME coop plan!!!!

5. Royd

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    Basically, everything is on site. I will have to purchase the rock, sand, portland cement and mortar, to pour the footer and lay the block...I also may have to buy some rebar.

I have enough metal for the roof, but I also have some old, perfectly good skylights, so I may go with plywood and shingles.

6. Royd

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    I have it detailed, in the plans, but it may be hard to read. I have designed it, for the deep litter method....There will be dirt floors, throughout.

7. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]

8. Royd

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    Well, I started, today, setting the batter boards, with quite a bit of supervision and approval, from the share holders.

[​IMG]/img]

Of course, OSHA has to come along, and stick its big nose in everything....What's with the tool inspection?

[​IMG][/img]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  9. keedokes

keedokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Wow, those plans look great, and I can't wait to see the finished product!!

PS LOL...I love the pictures you've got of your helpers. [​IMG]

10. Nyrial

Nyrial Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Lake Stevens, WA
    [​IMG] at the tool inspector

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by