My neigbors Dachshunds killed 3 of my young chickens today

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Mortos, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Mortos

Mortos Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2010
    Choctaw
    I went outside and saw these two dogs tearing apart my chickens. 3 were dead including my 2 beautiful silver laced wyandotte roosters and my one and only frizzled cochin named Butter by my daughter because of her beautiful golden color. The dogs were still chasing a chicken and one of my birds had jumped into the pond to get away from them. I went after these little bastards and started yelling at them. One of them turned around and tried to bite me. The other jumped in the pond to get away from me. I yelled at the one that tried to bite me and it hightailed it back to it's house. I was really mad now. I went back in the house to put some clothes on so I could talk to my neighbor (I work nights and had been napping on the couch). I pulled on some jeans and a shirt and went back outside and the dachshund had one of my black australorps pinned to the ground. I thought it was dead but when I grabbed a piece of trim wood and started advancing on the dog, the chicken limped off into some brush and the dog hightailed it back to the hogwire fence but I was faster than she could get her fat little body through. I got up to her and she turned and bared her teeth and snapped at me so I swung and missed and she turned and ran back away from the fence further onto my property. About that time I heard my neighbor calling the dogs because he realized they were out of their fenced in area. I yelled at him that his dog was on my property and both had just killed several chickens. I introduced myself to him because we had never met before. I told him his other dog was somewhere on my property and he was welcome to come and get her. He climbed the fence and went to find her. I spotted her at the far end of my yard next to the fence where my pasture starts and pointed her out to him. He went after her and I went to find the rest of my chickens. It took 20 minutes for them to come out of hiding. Most had their beaks open and were panting heavily. I put them all back into their coop and my neighbor came over and said his dog wouldn't come to him and had run into some brush. He said he was surprised they had killed the chickens because they had never seen chickens before and that they were probably just playing with them. I told him there was large chunks of flesh ripped off of their bodies and that they weren't playing with them when I saw them. He said he needed to go mow his yard and that the other dog would probably come back eventually. He didn't apologize or offer to compensate me for my dead chickens. That's what pisses me off more than the dogs getting out and killing them. My chickens are beautiful creatures and I feed them fresh corn and watermelon. One of the cockerels that was killed had begun to come to me and play whenever I went out to feed them. The frizzled cochin was just beginning to really get her frizzed feathers in and was turning out quite beautiful. I really wanted to kill those dogs and if I had connected with that piece of wood, I would have done some serious damage. I don't know what to do with my neighbor, their house is for sale and I have lived here two months and never spoken to them. They are the only neighbor I can see from my secluded acreage. I just can't believe he didn't even say he was sorry. My poor chickens. I started with 16 and between hawks and wiener dogs, I am down to 11.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Present him with a written bill for replacement.

3. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Bill him. Little dogs are just as bad as large ones, in my experience. And ALL dogs should be on their own property, no exceptions, period.

5. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    all I can say, SSS (shoot,shovel, shutup)

I feel bad for you, I have the owl, hawk, and other varmints, but the neighbors dog is a preventable tragedy, if only they where responsible

6. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    I'm sorry for your loss. The dogs were just following their instincts. The dog's owner, on the other hand, is a piece of work! I agree with the above posters... bill him!
    Hopefully he sells his house soon and you'll have better neighbors!

7. jjhuntsalot

jjhuntsalot Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2008
    White Plains KY
    SSS

Shoot
    Shovel
    Shhhh

8. Mortos

Mortos Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2010
    Choctaw
    How much would I bill him. Replacement cost for these chickens is just $3 each. But that doesn't begin to cover the time and energy we invested. I don't really care about recouping the money but an apology would have been nice.

9. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I would bill him to and if those dogs come back over again I would have something within reach to connect with them like a bat,rake anything,you have a right to protect yourself from them if they were barring there teeth at you,I would also call your police department and see what rights you have.My nighbors pit bull came upher three times and chased mine and would have killed them if I had not been right out there with them,the nieghbor was right there as he was trying to catch the dog it had got loose from its chain,he said he was very sorry and it would not happen again and that was four months ago and it has no been up here again.It was just a pup maybe 6 months old but now I think I would be araid of it,it bigger and being tied all the time is no life for a dog.

10. DawnM

DawnM Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2010
    Tacoma, Wa
    I'm new to this forum but I worked with dogs for nearly ten years. I got out of it when I started hating dogs. It wasn't even the dogs I hated, it was their owners. People get dogs and expect they don't have to train them or spend any time with them at all. Our dogs are trained not to attack any animal and are also trained to stay on our property. A little bit of training is definitely worth the time considering I never have to worry about what will happen if they get loose or who they will hurt if left alone. There was a big news story here a little while back I thought I would share: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2010/05/29/1205209/dangerous-animal-rule-too-harsh.html . Read the comments, no one is sympathetic to these owners. I would definitely make a public record of it as well, either through the police or animal control, whoever handles these matters in your area. Then there is serious consequences if it ever happens again. Hope this helps, Dawn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by