My neighbor of 30 years passed away...

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Spookwriter, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Mrs. Banks and her huband, John, bought their little farm back in the 1960's.
    Long before we moved here.

But I knew their children, played our childhood games with them. Her two middle
    boys and me, we got our first real jobs together.

Mr. Banks died back in the early 80's. The children all grew up, married, moved away.
    Some of them I hadn't seen for years.

Time sure gets away.

Like the mountains, Mrs. Banks was just always there. I'm going to miss that. She
    was a most excellent neighbor. She made us a cake just the other day...I hadn't even
    gotten around to taking her plate back yet.

Elderly lady, she lived alone lately. We'd check on her after a storm, or an electric outage.
    Went up and mowed her grass one last time this weekend.

Her oldest daughter said she'll be moving into the home soon.

She was a good neighbor...I'll miss her for a long time.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    How sad.. [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Good neighbors should be remembered just like this. My condolences on the loss of your friend.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG] Good neighbors are very difficult to find. Hope the daughter would be just as good as she was.

5. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    Sorry for the loss of Mrs. Banks - but, what a neat tribute you've written. When I pass, I hope someone does the same for me. Well done, Spookwriter.

6. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

It is awful to lose a good neighbor, we lost one last year, Mrs. Kelley had lived in that house since 1953. Notice I said 'Mrs. Kelley'. I just couldn't call her Irene, I wasn't raised that way [​IMG] She was widowed and lived there with one of her daughters, who now owns the house. She's a sweetheart, she'll continue the 'good neighbor' tradition.

7. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    I hear you on that.

Mrs. Banks given name was Bertha. Never called her that. She was Mrs. Banks.
    My daughter called her Mrs. Miss Banks.

A degree of respect...

No, no...she was never allowed to pay me for mowing her yard or patching her roof.
    It's what neighbors do for each other. But I never paid her for making me a cake.

She was in a wheelchair these past years. What an effort it must of been for her to
    do something as simple as to bake a cake.

81 years old, she never drove a car. Someone had to take her places. Library bookmobile
    (18 miles away) made a special trip, just for her. Meals on wheel was a daily friend. UPS
    left her packages here...Mrs Banks wasn't real speedy in her wheelchair at answering the
    door sometimes.

8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    [​IMG]

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Good neighbors are hard to find.

The one neighbor I remember more than anything was Mrs. Harper. I was always welcome in her home, and she always had peppermint Life Savers for me. She let me climb her orange tree and take as many as I wanted. I was 11 years old when she died, and to this day I will never forget her face, or her smile.

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good neighbors and friends are to be treasured. My mom who lived to be 97 said that the worst part of aging was not the infirmities-it was the fact that too many meaningful people in your life have died. I'm starting to understand. My condolences on your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by