My neighbors are going to LOVE me ...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RavenStorm, May 11, 2009.

1. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    I posted a while back on Craig's List that I was willing to take people's birds that they didn't want, mostly hoping to get babies right after Easter. I thought those ads were already down, but I just got an email today from a woman who wants to give me a goose. A one year-old Embden female, whose mate was killed and eaten by the family's German Sheaperd. This goose was injured durign the attack but survived, and now they don't want to risk this happening again so instead they want to give the goose away.

I have never had a goose before in my life. She says this one is friendly, but I'll have to wait and see. I know that the Chinese goose is the loudest/most talkative, can anyone tell me how loud this breed generally is? I might just have to help it heal and then find it another new home, the ducks and chickens are already loud enough.

2. farmertank

farmertank Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    I have Embdens LOVE then LOVE them!!

Ok they have two honks. a soft short honk that is saying hi and talking to you. And then they have a loud honk that warns of anything new or upsetting(like a loud noise). They are not like Chinese geese. They are only loud when alarmed or are yelling at their babies lol.

If you do something new or make a new noise they are not used to they will yell at you, but it only last for a few minutes then they just go away. They are very curious and insist on helping you do everything :lol I have to watch mine when I put clothes outside to dry, they will pull them off the line just for the fun of it.

Good luck. I would take her if I could.

keep us posted

Julie

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Why not give it a try. Like farmertank said, you may just fall in love with her. I heard that they are really good "watch dogs". I've got 3 Pekin ducks, and let me tell you, my female is very LOUD. I'm allowed to have domestic ducks here. Heck, sure, take the plunge. [​IMG] If I could get one, I probably would!

4. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    I would get geese again. Amazing creatures. [​IMG]

Talkative, and loving! Soon you'll say you need to find her a man-goose and you'll be as hooked on geese as the rest of us are. Lol

5. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    Yeah, I really want it, but right now I'm not sure I can handle another bird, especially a big one like a goose.

I live in the suburbs after all. One of my neighbors loves the sounds of my chickens and ducks because they remind her of her childhood, but my other neighbor is always grouchy. She hasn't complained to my face about them, but I can tell she doesn't like them. I'm just waiting right now though for my DBF to agree to let me have another bird that he won't get to eat lol. I'm sure I'll fall in love with her, and the current owner is stipulating that she will only give it to me if I promise not to kill it as food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by