My neighbors are mad about my chickens - but we are LEGAL

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by jerseygirl1, Oct 13, 2009.

1. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    My neighbors are none to happy with my chickens, but according to the town, I can have 25 fowl, I have 16 hens and one bantam roo - man, if looks could kill, we'd ALL be dead. Some people have nothing better to do with their time.....And she's never approached me or my husband about it, she just saw them and ran for the town hall. Must have been a shock when she found out that we are all ZONED AGRICULTURAL, since we both own 10 acres each.
    So, we smile and wave everytime we see them, kill them with kindness.......though, we share the private road we live on, so it's hard to ignore everyone here. HAHAHA
    [​IMG]

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Get some chicken lawn ornaments. Collectionsetc.com usually has some. Better than pink flamingos.... And wave and smile broadly whenever you see them just like you are already doing. That really gets their goat. I have been known to get cards from real estate agents and give them to unhappy neighbors. I tell them if they are really upset with the neighborhood these people will be happy to help them out...

3. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    Why aren't your neighbors happy? Are your girls or roo loud? Do they smell? Are they in her yard?

I'm just wondering why someone would treat you like that. Do they have a reason to be angry? I would think with 10 acre parcels they shouldn't care at all! I am always fascinated with human behavior and wonder what goes through peoples' minds that make them think they have the right to invoke their beliefs on others. [​IMG]

4. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Jeez, if I didn't see that you were in a different state, I'd think that you bought the house I sold a few years ago. Nasty, nosy neighbors!

I'm sorry you have to deal with this, but I think you are handling it perfectly. Give them the biggest, brightest smile you can muster every time you see them.

[​IMG]

5. Ravynwood

Ravynwood Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2009
    Champaign, IL
    Soooo baby chics for neighborhood gifts is out of the question? he he. I would so do Chicken holiday cards.

6. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    LOL at Chicken holiday cards! [​IMG]

7. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Wait. You own ten freaking acres and she's thinking some how you'd not be allowed to have livestock? What did you guys do, buy up 20 lots in a subdivision just for your own little selves? LOL!

I say give them free eggs, and dont put your chickens out before 9am, 10am on weekends.

We live in a village and thats what we do. seems to work really well, no one has even ventured a complaint.

8. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    LOL, who buys 10 acres and doesn't plan on owning livestock?

I get a kick out of our "new neighbors" too.

A while back, one landowner south of us tried to get his ag zoned parcel re-zoned so he could develop it. He didn't have the political pull to get that done, so he built a horse farm and moved in.

About 5 years later, the two large farms just south of him were re-zoned, and the big-time developers even got permission to put in high density housing, on the argument that it was "affordable" and they were doing a service to the community. Their "affordable" townhouses started at $850k, single-family homes about $1.3mil. Across the street from the picturesque horse farm.

Now the newbies are complaining about the smell of the horse farm when the wind blows their way ... what did they think a horse farm smelled like when they moved in? [​IMG]

My neighbor with the horse farm may well have the last laugh in this one!

9. kassy68

kassy68 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2009
    Vassar , Michigan
    My Coop
    Do the neighbors on the other side of them want chickens??? Maybe you could start them off with some and of course a couple roos too.. build them a coop if you have too.. then the nasty neighbors can be surrounded....

10. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Funny thing is, there are NO neighbors on either side of us, we havef 10 acres, they have 20
    And yes they are nosy nasty control freaks. We don't even exchange Xmas cards with them!!
    Yes, the chicken lawn ornaments, great idea!!
    No Tipsydog, they are not noisy, no they don't smell, and their yard, actually, is too far away and there is the road dividing our yard from theirs, so really, there is no problem. THEY are the problem. What they do not want, they think WE cannot have ourselves, it is a CONTROL issue. Also, I might add, we have a very small parcel of property, about 36', that borders their garage. Honestly, they mow, and take care of it, so we don't care, but it is OURS and they have acknowledged it and we are OK with it. So, now, you ask, WHY are they so rude? Again, it is a CONTROL issue. Push comes to shove, we can ask them to please remove themselves and their property from our small parcel. No big deal. My DH and I were talking that they must think they are the WORST complainers at the town hall.

Wait until I get my new rooster!!!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by