My neighbor's dog got one, again GRRRR!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by calicokat, Jan 31, 2011.

1. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    The neighbor's dog had a "fun" day today - took out one family's momma cat and one of our chickens. This family has enough history of dogs getting loose and attacking that when I called animal control she says "Gee, they haven't been on our radar in awhile" - she knew the name and the address! I let her know that was because the 20-something daughter who had the dogs had moved out over a year ago, but she lost her apartment, and now she's back at her mom and dad's with her pitbulls, again.

I know there is no fix, just wanted to share my sadness about little Cukoo Belle's passing, with others who would understand my anger and tears over losing her.

The good pix of her are on my computer at work, but I have one from when she was only a month or so old, she's standing by her mom (well, the hen who raised her anyway, LOL)

[​IMG]

2. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    sorry for your loss. Lock the girls up just to make sure. that dog will be back.
    I lost 6 to the dog next door last spring/summer. My fault, they free range, my dogs scared them and they fly next door. It is so disappointing and frustrating.

3. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    That would be a dog that would mysteriously disappear. There is SSS and for those dogs too pathetic and sweet to SSS I drive 2 hours away to take them to a no kill shelter. ( the 2 hours is so the crappy owners never find out where the dog is and link their disappearance to me)

4. TinkleTurkey

TinkleTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    That's terrible! Unfortunately seems someone will always rain on your parade with their selfishness.

I've found the best defense against roaming dogs is to have dogs yourself. I have one that is dog friendly but wary of strange people, I have one that is people friendly and hates strange dogs, so a good team, and they consider the flock to be their own. Never lost one to a predator, EVER - even with them roaming the property day and night.

Don't know if you already have a dog or want to get one, but its something to think about.

5. calicokat

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Yeah, we're definatly keeping eyes open for a fair SSS opportunity since these folks continue to get more dogs and just keep being irresponsible with them. It's unfortunate for their dogs, but the rest of the neighborhood can't continue to be victims and do nothing. Luckily, DH is a good shot, and not afraid to protect us if needed.

We do have a dog, a 50 lb lab, but I worry that she'll be hurt by this dog so I don't let her out if he's loose. He seems to have a lot of puppy and playful spunk in him, and with his size that can easily turn deadly if he gets to playing too rough.

6. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    pitbulls are high energy breeds. He is probably bored so that is why he is not sticking close to home. Probably not neutered either.

7. calicokat

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Oh yeah, he's not nutered. They breed them. There's a batch of pups in the back yard now with the mom. I won't even get into the poor conditions these people keep their dogs in. [​IMG]

I thought it seemed like play too, since neither the cat or the bird were eaten at all, even though the animal control lady said he was not well fed and obviously hungry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by