My neighbors must hate me right now

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lilki, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Lilki

Lilki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    My six month old mallard hen suddenly started quacking non-stop about a half hour ago. She's still at it. Normally she's super quiet and only quacks when her male buddy gets out of site.

I know I'm grasping at straws here but is this something associated with egg laying? She hasn't laid any yet but we are in Ca. and the winters are very mild.

My neighbors are probably seriously annoyed right now. At least she's not as loud as the Welsh Harlequins.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    If my birds start making a lot of noise for no apparent reason I investigate for predators or other disturbances. Something may have startled or worried your hen?

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

My rescue hen that survived a Fox attack quacks her head off if the cat from next door walks across my pasture, or if a Raven flies over......Or if the squirrel is passing through the trees.....I think something is startling your Duck??

Cheers!

4. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Yeah she might be seeing something you aren't. My ducks will also go nuts if they see mine or the neighbors cat sneaking around...
    Is she standing really upright when she quacks?

5. Lilki

Lilki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    It's the same sort of quacking she does when she gets separated from her mate. I thought about predators- we do have lots of hawks- but she's seen them before and never gone off like that. Usually it's a big quack and run for cover. This was like 30 minutes of non stop quacking. Maybe there was something else lurking around.

I read that wild mallard hen will start quacking wildly, before they start laying, when they look for nesting sights. Will mallards lay in the winter in mild climates?

6. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Dont have mallards, so not sure.
    Maybe if a cat or something was hiding somewhere is the only other thing I can think of.

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I am thinking the same thing.....I waited for your reply Bills vs Beaks........I do not have Mallards but the loud Quacking sounds more scared than egg laying to me.....

Cheers!

Also......Have you changed her routine at all???????

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by