My Neighbor's RIR Rooster is eyeballing me.....with the evil eye...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Musashi, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Musashi

Musashi Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2011
    Lake Wales, Florida
    Hi all.

I'm getting information together to start having chickens for the first time in my life. My wife and I recently moved out to a rural area and are so happy someone should pinch us.

I want to get some chickens quite soon, but the neighbor has some already. There are 2 Rhode Island Red Roosters (I'm pretty sure that's what they are), and they're almost always together. This morning they hopped the 4 foot chain link fence that separates our yards (about 2.5 acres each) and were under one of our trees this morning giving me the evil eye.

I'm worried if I get my own chickens and roosters what these roosters will do to my birds? I plan to let my rooster and hens roam around by day as well. Am I in for unwanted cock fighting?

[​IMG]

2. ravenzero

ravenzero Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Vancouver WA
    is there a fence between you and the nieghbor? He should be clipping wings to keep them on his property, (not sure how easy it is to clip a roo!) otherwise, may the best rooster win.

3. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    Probably at first until the dominance is set. Me personally, if the breed doesn't matter, I would take advantage of the free rooster service. Who know you might just end up with a free rooster.

4. Musashi

Jun 24, 2011
    Lake Wales, Florida
    Well, the fence is only four feet high and they seem to get over quite easily. lol.

I have been assuming I'd get some unsexed chicks and no doubt wind up with a male or two. It is that future scenario which concerned me. Also RIR seem to have a reputation of being aggressive so I don't like the chances of any future juvenile roosters I may acquire.

Also, this must be the ex-city slicker in me, but dang these roosters are BIG! I was pretty amazed at the size of these suckers. The fact there are two of them, makes them look like velociraptors to me lol.

If it comes down to "may the best rooster win", I feel confident this pair of Godzillas next door will come out on top. Then my wife will cry and I'll be the bad guy somehow ;-(

It hadn't occured to me to just let them do their rooster thing over in my yard.....and I really like RIR, but I was thinking of getting something else, maybe Japanese silkies and these roosters would be an magnitude of size above and beyond those!

5. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    I wouldn't project problems with them at this point. It will be awhile before you will have your chickens wandering freely if you start with baby chicks. If you want to start w/ grown chickens look for a small flock that already is integrated and has its rooster. That way the pecking order is established and your neighbor's birds will be outsiders. That also can give you eggs sooner w/out the trauma of getting half a dozen chicks and winding up w/ 4 roosters. I know I am not the only owner that hatches chickens and sells small groups. If you are going to go the chick route, I suggest getting pullets from a reliable hatchery, and if you feel brave one male. My first order was for 12 chicks, all pullets and I had 2 that were boys. Of the 2 roos, the dominant one went the way of all human aggressive roosters (culled) and the other roo, Punkit is head rooster, not only of his harem, but over all the harems in the other coops. He reports any problems in "Chicken City". I've had him almost 2 years now. Going the hatchery route, rather than the feed store can give you a choice of breeds to try and a set delivery date so you can have the brooder ready. Otherwise you will need to have the coop set up when you go to get your chickens (young, point of lay or adult). I used My Pet Chicken until I started hatching eggs.
    In the mean time, if your neighbors roosters annoy you, or especially if they act aggressively towards you, contact the neighbor and insist he keeps them on his property. That is his responsibility.

6. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    The roosters were probably just checking you out. That is their job as head of sceurity!

7. Musashi

Jun 24, 2011
    Lake Wales, Florida
    Well, this sure is exciting stuff either way. Thanks for the replies all!

8. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    [​IMG]
    I have 2 different flocks on my farm and the roosters seem to mind their own business for the most part. They cross paths in the fields, but they don't seem to go into each other's coops. The biggest fights I have are when the young ones grow up and try to take over leadership. The title for Boss roo seems to change as often as it does for professional wrestling [​IMG]

9. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    There's also the possibility that those roosters won't be around by the time your chickens are bigger. Your neighbor may be planning to eat them at some point.

10. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    My roo lost an eye because of the neighbor's roo. I started squirting their rooster with the waterhose when he hopped the fence and he stays home now. I believe their birds to be the source of a lice infestation in my flock too. Biosecurity could be a concern as well. I asked my neighbors to hose down my boy if goes over there too. That way they don't think I am just being mean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by