My Neighbors

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by FortWorthChicks, Jan 28, 2010.

1. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    So here it is. I am blessed with good neighbors on all sides that count. [​IMG] On one side we have a quiet family who doesn't do or say much. (Not bad) our kids play together and when we see eachother we wave.

On the other side is a family that has owned the house for 30+ years. One day our truck broke down and they came out. Gave us a set of keys to their truck and said take it when ever you need and return the keys when you get your truck fixed. I could not believe that. So NICE! They also came calling with a kitten when they heard that my cat got hit by a car. They used to feed my cat and loved him too.

And then across the street are good friends/neighbors who are in cub scouts with my son [​IMG] We bar b q together ect. [​IMG] life is good on my street how bout yours?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Yep, I'm lucky too. At one point last summer the houses on each side of me were up for sale. We couldn't help checking our armpits. But the people who bought both houses seem nice. We had a rooster until a week and a half ago and they very nicely did not complain even when he started extending his crowing times to, well, all day, actually, which is why he became a meal. A few days ago my little BR hen somehow ended up in the frontyard (don't know how) and was in a panic trying to get back home because it was dusk and time to go to bed. My neighbor saw her and came to let us know she was out and wanted back in. The other neighbor came over to borrow jumper cables last week, so I figure that's good for a little neighborly goodwill in the event a dog barking bothers him some time (though our dogs spend 99% of their time indoors so hardly ever have the chance).

3. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I am truly blessed. just north of us is a ten acre plot that a nice young man and his wife plan to build a home on! Just to the south of us is DH boss,our landlord and good friends! All holidays and lots of summer nights spent with them! We go to their lake houses use their pontoon etc! I love them like family! And they us! We have all rights to 63 acres here and love it! Nobody west of us and east of us is the corn/ whatever they plant feild I hunt in!

4. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    My neighbors are pretty okay now since the two families we didnt get along with moved out. That was a nightmare and strange because there arent too many people I cant at least halfway tolerate.[​IMG]
    To one side of us is a younger couple with their dogs, in back of us is an older lady. Both of these families work nights. Across the street and partially behind us are the buildings of a welding business. On the last side of us is a big empty lot before the extremely small downtown area, couple of bars, post office, bank, cafe, hardware store etc.
    For town (which I really dont care for), its not bad. (Barring certain weirdos but that particular person isnt my neighbor...)

5. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I have mostly good neighbors and a few with minor issues, but nothing horrible or scary.

The ones I have issues with are the ones who let their unfriendly dogs roam - the dogs bark and growl at my children and they're mad at me because I let them know (very politely) that that was not okay with me. The other neighbor doesn't like me either because I caught her dog over here almost every day investigating the chickens. And why does everyone think it's okay to let your dogs poop in my front yard every single day? We don't let our dogs in our front yard, so we'd have a poop-free zone and we're dodging poop of all shapes and sizes. That old adage is true: "Good fences make good neighbors." Why am I the only one with a good fence?

[​IMG]

The nice things that others have done for us:
    save egg cartons for me
    bring me a whole lot of books because she saw I'd bought a bunch at her yard sale
    bring hand-me-downs toys and clothes for the kids
    bring bread from the local bakery
    bring us leftover food and soda from catering events
    my kids always play with their kids in their yard
    babysitting (although I pay her)

Nice things I've done for our neighbors:
    eggs, eggs and more eggs
    bake lots of different breads
    catch their dogs for them when they're not home (at their request)

6. Andi

Andi Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow! Its so nice to see a thread that's not complaining about something! Thank-you for starting it!

I'm pretty fortunate as well. My neighbors are all pleasant and helpful in a pinch. Since getting the chickens they've all started to be a bit more careful about keeping their dogs home as well. We aren't real buddy-buddy with any of them, but that's alright. We are about the only ones not related in the neighborhood, so there's some dynamics we just weren't interested in getting into. Good people though.

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

We too are lucky to have very good neighbors for the most part. We all keep on eye on each other's places and everybody knows they can call if they need anything. The two nearest are quiet, hard working people who are good enough to keep their dogs on their property. There is one place up the road whose loose dogs are an issue, they farm both sides of the road and seem to think their dogs should have the run of the place as well as all the surrounding farms. But that's another story and I've pretty much solved the problem with good fencing and a few hot wires. So otherwise, yes, we feel we have been lucky as far as neighbors go.

8. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    I have the best neighbors in the world... I have my brother and his family on one side and the other side is a lady I love like my own sister.. Never had one of those.. And she is not only my neighbor, she is a certified wildlife rehabilitator.. Which means that no animal emergencies at my place are ever that much of an issue... She has saved me money, time and sanity..YAY!!!

9. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I got a family to theleft that just moved in they have older kids they dont talk at all with us, not sure if it is because of race or rank. On the other side we have is a fam with five kids. He DH just left for Iraq. WE walk to school together and help each other out when we need help. We will BBQ in the spring/summer. Across from us is a church.

10. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    It is so nice reading everyones post! Man I have had some horrible neighbors but right now I am lucky. I am wanting to move and hope that the next neighbors will be half as good!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by