My nest boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by halo, Jun 24, 2008.

1. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I figured since my first chickies are getting upwards of 4 months old that it was probably time to think about making some nest boxes. Only thing I bought was 3 plastic storage units at $1 each. The rest was scrap wood I had in the barn. Just used some 2 x 4's, a piece of broken fence board, and a leftover piece of plywood. The plywood on the top just sets in, I can take it out, its not nailed down. Only thing I have left to do is nail a 2 x 4 for a step up to the nests. No one has investigated them yet, but as least I can stop worrying that someone might start laying.

Actually I had a dream the other night that I was in the coop, and over in the corner I saw an egg. I started digging thru the shavings, and found hundreds of eggs. I brought buckets in and started filling the buckets, and more eggs kept appearing. I guess that was someone telling me to get those nest boxes done!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Looks good. The only suggestion I would make is to box in the sides and top to make it a little darker. My hens have always started to lay in the nests that were in the darkest area.

Matt

3. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I can do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    What a great job of using inexpensive things to make wonderful nest boxes. I love always love to see people who can do things for less money and make it work so well.

I do agree with Matt though, chickens like darker places for their nest boxes.

5. pixiechic

pixiechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    North GA
    I love these! Are your chickens laying in them yet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by