my nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ange, Jul 11, 2010.

1. ange

ange Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2009
    CORNING NY
    MY nesting boxes, we have placed dividers between each nesting box, but we are finding that they are roosting on them, and they have lots of other choices to roost, so do you think it would be ok if we just removed the dividers and just had the nesting boxes, with their bedding still but kust one big nestinng box? ALSO IT STINKS ANY SOLUTIONS TO CUT ON THE SMELL

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    How old are they? and do they have a roost?

3. ange

Jun 15, 2009
    CORNING NY
    coop crazy, I have 8 hens, ranging in ages from 6 months to 18 months, and they have roosting areas, on top of coop in the rafdters they go plus 4 separate areas which they roost and sleep on

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    It is recommended that you block off your nest boxes until your birds are laying.. this will discourage them from roosting in them .. I personally would not take out teh dividers as hens prefer a enclosed snug place to lay.. You can also physically move the birds to the roost until they get the hang of it ..

5. Winsor Woods

Winsor Woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Cascade Range in WA
    Not sure what your nest boxes look like. When I made my nest boxes, I made them with a steeply slanted top. The chickens can get up there but they have to work constantly to keep from sliding off. I've never had them try to roost on the nest boxes. As a result, they don't poop up there either.

Here's a photo:

[​IMG]

Dan

6. ange

Jun 15, 2009
    CORNING NY
    GREAT IDEA, i HATE POOP IN THEIR NEST BO9XES, AND ours are not covered on top, othwer wise they look just like yours but with dividers and notr a top

7. okiechicken

okiechicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2010
    mine looks like yours winsor, but w/o the bar in front...is it needed? i was afraid theyd roost on that and poo would still end up in the nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by