My new 6x8 pallet coop- done!

taterville4

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 19, 2013
NC
My coop is finished except for painting! I used Hinkle Haus as my main inspiration and lots of ideas and pictures on byc as well. I can't build anything but my hubby and guyfriends did all the work and I provided food as bribery.

Base is cinderblocks with 2 4x6 skids then 3/4" plywood screwed down.
Including the floor, nine 4x6 skids were used. When trimming them, screw before the cut to keep from dragging the board. 2X4s were added to the top front to help the roof slope. 1/4" hardware cloth added to the entire top to vent on sides and overhang. 1/2" plywood covered with metal roof and roofing nails were used. 7 smartside primed boards from Lowes were used with little waste. The whole exterior was trimmed in yellow pine.

A pre-owned exterior door was trimmed off at the bottom, framed, shimmed, and an exterior locking knob added. By Spring, a hardware cloth screen door will be added for more daytime ventilation.

On the inside, two 6ft roosting bars were added at 2ft and then one higher. I found a drawing on here to build three nesting boxes with an angled top, a 1" board to hold eggs in, and a jump bar. That is 16" off the ground since sideways blocks of that height held it while attaching to wall. I need to take inside pics today. I used 1x3 tiles that interlock using no glue for the floor (only work besides printing ideas I have done hehe) though trimming pieces to fit between skids was a pain and would have been easier to do after floor plywood down but before walls were up.

The chicken door is 18x18 and folds down as the ramp.

I'm going to whitewash the inside of the coop with lime/water. The exterior is going to be painted Glidden Peacock Teal. The metal roof is burgundy, so what color besides white should the door be?

Once the paint dries, I'm going to move the 10x16 chain link fence against side wall and cut hole for chicken door. My fence is a 10x10 connected with a walkthru with a smaller coop which I can shutoff and][
IMG ALT=""]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6015965/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Last edited:
This morning we finished the coop so the chickies can move in tonight. We painted the coop and trim with the mini coop and outside roost to match. We moved the fence up against the coop and cut a hole in the chain link and hardware cloth. Three metal stars and two mums added to make it more purdy. Love it! One of my girls, Mother Clucker, laid an egg in the nesting box before we could get the pdz and shavings down.

Back
Top Bottom