My new $700 coop

deighmey

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
Metropolis, IL

I just made this coop. It's 6'x4' so I'm wondering how many chickens I should keep. The attached run is 150 sq. ft. I plan on free-ranging my chickens also when they get older. I used plywood, 2x4s for framing, and timbers for the uprights, as well as a bunch of 2x2s. We are in So. Il so we are relatively warm in winter. Anyway, that's me!

g17jimmy

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
I thought it was 4sqft per bird if they were kept in at all times and free range was less. I have 7 large hens sharing a 16sqft coop at night. They free range during the day.

juliefurry03

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 22, 2014
My coop is similar sized and we were told no more than 6. So we got six and will downsize if they are too cramped.

g17jimmy

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
The only time all of mine are in the coop is roost at night and there is more than enough room for 6-10 hens to roost in a 6x4 coop. The rest of the time mine are outside scratching and digging up bugs.

juliefurry03

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 22, 2014
The only time all of mine are in the coop is roost at night and there is more than enough room for 6-10 hens to roost in a 6x4 coop. The rest of the time mine are outside scratching and digging up bugs. 

Do they free range or are they penned? There is also a difference depending on how they are allowed out.

deighmey

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
Metropolis, IL
Right now my chickens are only 4-6 weeks old. I open up the coop to the yard every morning and close them up at night. I have a large number but I am planning to downsize to the ones I really like as they get bigger. My full-grown chickens free-range about 5 days per week When the little ones get to be 3-4 months I will start letting them out into the yard. We have a 3-acre "yard" and 14 acres of pasture surrounding. We usually have around a dozen cattle in the pasture in the summer to keep the grass from taking over so we can keep a pretty good eye on things. Our dog is good at watching over the chickens, too. So far his German Shepherd side is making him a good guardian, but then I think his Lab side has come to an understanding with our rooster. Maybe he just decided wild rabbits are more fun, lol!

Top Bottom