My New (and first) Coop and Run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CheekinCheekin, Nov 24, 2013.

1. CheekinCheekin

CheekinCheekin Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2013
    The friend who built my coop didn't think the online chicken community would have any interest in the design and execution of the coop and run. I told him he was quite wrong. :)
    [​IMG]
    This isn't actually a photo of my coop, but I followed the same design as this and buried the hardware cloth all the way around. For aesthetics, I added landscape fabric and river rock. I will set some flower pots around it in the summer.
    [​IMG]
    The girls enjoying a pre-bedtime dust bath. It's just an old trash can lid.
    [​IMG]
    My friend wanted to make an arched doorway. It's pretty cool.
    [​IMG]
    All the designs for cleaning doors seem to involve lifting the door up. Which is fine but didn't really work for this design. So we went with a vertical door instead.
    [​IMG]
    The finished coop and run, unpainted until spring. Any wood touching the ground is either treated wood or painted to protect it until then. I'm thinking barn red for the coop.
    [​IMG]
    Vents at the top of the coop.
    [​IMG]
    I really, really wanted a window so I repurposed an old mirror (easier than I thought it would be). I think it looks awesome.
    [​IMG]
    My kitten Josie enjoys the roof.
    [​IMG]
    Some of the ladies on their nighttime roosts. I went with natural branches.
    [​IMG]
    Sarah giving me the eye. You know that look.
    [​IMG]
    Loretta enjoys a cool drink.
    [​IMG]
    Roosting poles. My neighbor had a bunch of brush laying in his yard, so I asked if I could take some.
    [​IMG]
    Ramp and doorway.
    [​IMG]
    The area to the left of the window is where the nesting box will be added come springtime. I have two Red Stars, and I understand they can start laying at 4 months, so I'll put a temporary nest box inside the coop in a few weeks just in case.
    [​IMG]
    This is the view the ladies have from the lower roosting branch out their window.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    a throne fit for a queen. love it! much better than you can buy. tell your friend good job!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by