My new babies don't seem to want to drink!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bigdaddyjts1, Nov 11, 2013.

1. bigdaddyjts1

bigdaddyjts1 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2013
    Brand new to this. I have three beautiful young hens, who seem quite at home in their new coop/run. They are eating well and seem to be adjusting nicely to teir new home, but I haven't seen them drink yet! We did the 5 gallon bucket in a shallow pan, homemade feeder. They approach the pan but will not drink. Should I be worried? My father says when they get thirsty they will drink.

2. Peplers chicks

Peplers chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

nope, they can go the first few day without water. but if it takes to long it is good to introduce them to the water, by dipping their beeck's in the water, the rest will follow

3. chad-o

chad-o Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    I agree with you dad. I never had any die of thirst when they had access to water.

4. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Just because you haven't seen them drink doesn't mean they aren't. I wouldn't worry too much, your Dad had good advice and if they are healthy and eating there is no reason they won't get thirsty. The beak dipping is a good idea for hatchlings, but it might freak out a new hen though and make matters worse!

5. MyPetNugget

MyPetNugget Enjoying the cold!!!

We I once had a chick that wouldn't drink once, and I had to help it with a dropper. But within two days it got the hang of drinking from the waterer. Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by