My new babies & guesses on egg color!?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by MissHenrietta, Jun 16, 2019.

1. MissHenrietta

MissHenrietta Chirping

Nov 27, 2018
    Upstate NY
    Hey all! So I decided to incubate some eggs from my flock - all of them bred from a white leghorn roo. Four of the eggs were from my EE hen (she lays mint colored eggs). And two were from my Sapphire Gem hen. I ended up hatching 5 out of the 6 earlier this week. All of the babies are white, some with black and buff-colored markings. My Sapphire Gem laid a really dark brown egg, so I’m assuming, if this one ends up a female, she will lay a lighter brown egg? I’m curious though as to what y’all think the EE/Leghorn crosses might lay. I’ll post a picture of the egg color they all came from. =)

Here is the egg color the EE/leghorn crosses hatched from:
    45B80DC7-1B39-466C-9871-93CD14687D35.jpeg

And here are my little fluff-balls:
    7DA72EA6-C7BD-4D1C-A9AD-13304BB5623A.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Literally anything.
    They can lay light brown, tinted, blue, green and even white.

aart likes this.
  3. MissHenrietta

MissHenrietta Chirping

Nov 27, 2018
    Upstate NY

Thank you! That’s kind of what I figured, but wasn’t 100% sure since her eggs actually look a tad bit more blue in person. Would the babies be considered an “EE” also? Sorry if that’s a dumb question :D

Cyprus likes this.
  4. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Yes, they would be considered Easter Eggers.

MissHenrietta likes this.
  5. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Yes the chicks from the Leghorn x Easter Egger would be considered Easter Eggers.
    Depending whether your Easter Egger hen carries 1 or 2 blue egg genes will determine what egg colors her daughters will lay. If she carries 1 blue egg gene then the daughters have a chance of laying white, tinted, or blue/greenish eggs. If she carries 2 blue egg genes then the daughters will lay blue or green eggs.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  6. nicalandia

nicalandia Crowing

Jul 16, 2009
    I would say that if any of your F1 female chicks have a pea comb they have 96% chance of laying Blue/Light Green eggs. The one with single come have 96% chance of laying White/Tinted eggs..

So Statistically speaking if the hens that laid colored eggs are only Heterozygous for the pea comb(Heterozygous for the blue egg shell aswell) and were crossed to a single comb rooster, you have about 50% chance of obtaining pea comb chicks, 50% of those chicks will be pullets, so only a total of 25% of the total hatched chicks will lay blue/light green eggs(actually that 25% will have 96% chance of laying blue/light green eggs).

So if you hatch about 20 chicks, only 5 pullets may lay blue/light green eggs(the other 50% will be cockerels and 25% of single comb pullets)

7. IamRainey

IamRainey Songster

What, exactly, does Easter Egger mean? I thought it was a specific breed with the same genetic material.

8. MissHenrietta

MissHenrietta Chirping

Nov 27, 2018
    Upstate NY

Interesting! I would be able to tell right now if they have pea combs, correct? They’re really hard to see, but I’m pretty certain I’m seeing tiny little pea combs on every one of the EE’s, but it could just be me haha. They all definitely have very, very small combs - especially compared to the Sapphire Gem/Leghorn cross - that one has a very prominent single comb. I’ll have to try and get some pics later and post them!

9. nicalandia

nicalandia Crowing

Jul 16, 2009
    Do Sapphire Gem hens lay green/blue eggs and are single comb?

10. MissHenrietta

MissHenrietta Chirping

Nov 27, 2018
    Upstate NY

My Sapphire gems lay medium-colored brown eggs and have single combs.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: