My new babies keep peeping and will not quiet down!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tola, May 31, 2008.

1. tola

tola New Egg

May 31, 2008
    We got 10 barred rocks a few days ago, we think they are about a week-old, and have them in a homemade brooder in the living room. They have been doing fine and sometimes peep loudly, but most of the time they just "talk" quietly. Today we got two 6 week-old leghorns and put them in a homemade brooder beside the others. The new chicks are very loud. They keep peeping and will not stop, except to take short naps. They have food, water, a branch to perch on, a light next to them, from the other brooder. What do you think is wrong? Are they cold? They are not huddling or anything, just loudly peeping. I have another light, maybe I should give them their own light. Any suggestions will be much appreciated. By the way, this is our first time with chickens and we are really excited.

Tola in Texas

2. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    If they came from a larger flock, they're calling out for their brothers and sisters. It's just instinct. They think the siblings are lost and are trying to lead them home with their voices. They'll settle down after a while. You might try giving them their own light. Sometimes when they're plenty warm they get drowsy and sleep a little more. If they're really driving you nuts you can put a hand mirror in there with them. Sometimes that will make them think there's another chicken there.

3. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Are they staying close together by the light? Maybe they are cold. What is the temp in the brooder? If they are away from the light maybe they are hot. Someone will get on here and help you better.

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    What is the temp reading in your brooder?

5. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    i would def give them their own light. also, my experience with leghorns and adults they are the MOST noisey things ever!!! so ,,, maybe they are noisey as lil guys too... ?

6. tola

tola New Egg

May 31, 2008
    Thank you to everyone who answered me. I think I solved the problem right after posting. The little girls were so pitiful that I picked them up and cuddled them and they settled right down. Then I gave them a light and when they were put back into the brooder they quieted down and have been fine. I would like to think it is because they love ME but I think I really just warmed them up and then they had the light. I am so excited to be starting on this adventure with these little guys.

Tola in Texas:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by