My New Babies **PIC HEAVY**

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lovin'mychicks, May 18, 2009.

1. lovin'mychicks

lovin'mychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Central Alabama
    I just wanted to introduce you guys to my new additions!

This is a group shot at all of them. For those of you who have read that you should always have a back up plan, it is SO true! I have this plastic tote configured with a wire top in case of emergencies! It was a good thing because a zap of lightning got TWO heat bulbs from my outdoor brooder and I had to bring them inside last night to keep them warm!

I had 6 Black Australorps and 4 Mille Fleur D'uccle Bantams...

[​IMG]

This is Brutus...he is almost twice as large as the other Australorp chicks. His egg was not larger, but he sure is! I tried "feather" sexing (which I am not sure you can do on BA's so please let me know if it works with this breed!) I think so because I had two very distinct heights of wing feathers on some and some were exactly the same. Anyhow...I think he is a roo!

[​IMG]

Okay this is my "mutt" of the clutch. I took this egg from my New Hampshire who was breed to the BA roo. You can see the "red" around his face. Again, if the wing feathers are right "It's a Roo!" I cannot wait to see how it feathers out!

[​IMG]

And this is Black Beauty...If you read my hatching thread, she hatched a full eight hours before the rest. She had a bloody navel and stayed 1/2 way in the egg for hours. I finally (on advice from the board) wrapped a warm-wet paper towel around her belly and left her alone. This is her on day 3!

[​IMG]

2. what eggs

what eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Adorable chicks and nice backup setup. I really like that picture of Brutus he is huge!

3. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Awww what cute fuzzybutts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by