My new babies that hatched over the weekend

silkhope

Songster
12 Years
Apr 30, 2007
Pittsboro, NC
I ordered eggs from Lisa and these hatched out over the weekend from the incubator - a lady helped me incubate the ones that wouldn't fit under my broody. Nothing yet from the broody but I'm still hopeful for a few of them after looking them over last night. Saturday was day 21 so I will give them another day or so - it has been cool at night here as well so my fingers are crossed for a late hatch.

So far it looks like I have a white silkie, a black silkie, a black naked neck, a grey or blue (?) naked neck and I can't quite tell what the other is... it has splayed leg so after this picture I got her fixed up and put screen/mesh down on the paper towels to help her grip better. One of the naked necks has curled toes as well.

My eight year old daughter took one look at the naked necks and said mom, those aren't chickens, you got miniature ostriches!!
lol.png
I think they're adorable!!

Newbabies003.jpg

Newbabies035.jpg

Look at that neck! I love it!

Ashley

Precious precious precious!!!

That's just backwards, lol. Usually it's the broody-hen-hatched eggs that do well and the bator-hatched eggs that are draggy.

I sure hope more of the Silkie chicks pop out for you (I know that's what you *really* wanted).
I just adore the little Naked Necks! Did any of the Frizzle chicks hatch yet?

Great job hatching!
Lisa

You will never believe what I did Lisa - I was so MAD at myself. I had been going out to the coop and picking the broody up and taking out extras that had been laid in her box when she got up and putting those extras in another box beside her (my plan was to get another broody and she would help with the hatches)

Well, my daughter and I go out middle of last week to collect and she grabs eggs out of the "extras box" and accidentally dropped one just outside the coop. She goes oops, sorry mom - and then I hear - ewwww, what is that?? You could see the chick thru the membrane. I thought OH $%#@ and grab the egg. It had chicken poop on it and your marking had been covered, so when I counted and moved extras, I moved it as an extra. Sure enough, it was a frizzle and had formed BEAUTIFULLY, just an adorable little thing... I was so disappointed at myself for being careless. It had been out for at least two days, in the cold, makes me tear up now just thinking about it...
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom