1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

MY NEW BABIES

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by INNOCENT85, Jan 30, 2017.

1. INNOCENT85

INNOCENT85 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2017
    HI GUYS THESE ARE MY BABIES ALL SIX OF THEM THANKS TO YOUR ADVICE BUT I HAVE LOTS OF QUESTIONS.............

1.I AM USING A 100WATTS INCANDESCENT BULB FOR THEM CAN I USE IT TILL THEY GET 5 WEEKS ?

2.THEY ARE A WEEK NOW SO CAN I DECREASE THE BULB FROM 100WATTS TO A LOWER ONE?

3.NOW I AM SCARED ABOUT THIS...WHEN I GIVE THEM FEED THEY EAT IT ALRIGHT BUT ARE NOT ACTIVE DURING THE DAY,THEY SLEEP DURING THE DAY AND ACTIVE AT NIGHT.AM I DOING THING RIGHT?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4.WHEN WOULD I REALLY SEE CHANGE IN GROWTH.....THEY WOULD BE 2WEEKS ON 4TH FEB....PLEASE TEACH ME WHAT TO DO PLEASE

2. birdwrangler057

birdwrangler057 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    "Cute little biddies," as my grandma would say. Sounds like your doing it right so far, your supposed to keep the heat lamp until they completely grow their feathers. I don't think you have to get a new bulb, I always just raised the height to cool it down. It is perfectly normal for them to be more active at night, mine used to peep and jump around all night, then sit in the corner for the day. Good luck

3. Merrymouse

Merrymouse Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Cute chuckle babies. What kind are they?

4. INNOCENT85

Jan 12, 2017
    BRAHMA BIRDS

5. INNOCENT85

Jan 12, 2017
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH

6. twigcrafter

twigcrafter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2016
    Orange county NY
    [​IMG]so cute

7. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    One of the issues with using light as heat is what you're finding- odd sleep hours because the light is always there to keep them warm.
    If you're looking for a cost-effective way to make their night-time warm but dark, search "MHP" which is momma heating pad (mama heat pad, various variations) - basically it's a little cave with a heating pad over the top to mimic being under the hen. The bonus to heat not equaling light is they go to bed and sleep at night instead of getting stuck in what I call the airport terminal (no day and night, always bright). Bunch of ways to do it inexpensively. Key element is a pad that doesn't turn off after 2 hrs.

1 person likes this.
  8. birdwrangler057

birdwrangler057 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    Cool! never heard of anything like that!

9. INNOCENT85

Jan 12, 2017
    YEA never heard of anything like that

10. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    This thread is huge with lots of variations and ideas. The main idea is to make sure the heating pad doesn't automatically shut off after 2hrs, to make the cave in such a way that chicks can climb on top without collapsing it on chicks that are underneath, and to make sure there is an "exit" out the back. Many, many ways to make it happen! I recommend reading the first few pages of this thread for the main ideas, and then skip to the end where more recent information is added nearly every day, and where you can post questions of your own.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by