My new babies

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jbently28, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Jbently28

Jbently28 Songster

May 7, 2018
    Louisiana
    As I posted in another forum, I went to a local chicken swap this weekend looking for a couple of more ducklings to ad to my flock of. I was trying to find some between 2-3 weeks old that I could place with my lone little WH/KC baby that one of my chickens hatched out about 3 weeks ago. I had heard that a vendor was going to be there with some Ancona ducklings. I got there at 8:00 right when it started even though we were under a severe weather watch that day. I searched high and low and couldn't find any ducks at all. I asked one of the other vendors if they knew of anyone with ducklings, specifically Anconas. She said that the vendor was running late because of the weather but was on her way. My kids and I continued looking around while my husband was checking out some homemade beard balms. He called me and said "Come back to the front. They just got here". We rushed back and found a little box with 10 little Ancona ducklings. They were only $5 a piece so my husband told me to get a many as I wanted. I had only planned on getting 2. I was picking out a black and white and chocolate and white one when the vendor pointed out to me that they only had one little blue one. I swooped it up as fast as I could. So here are my new babies! They were straight run so not sure on genders yet. And does the blue one look blue? Most pictures I've found online of ducklings had a more distinct grey coloring. Could it possibly be a silver, lavender, etc? 20190415_072506.jpg

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "Be Strong in the Lord"

They are gorgeous Congrats!! as for coloring you'll have to ask the experts.

I always go to @Table4Six Or @MagpieDucks But @CrystaBub will want to see these too!

3. Jbently28

Jbently28 Songster

May 7, 2018
    Louisiana
    Thank you! I was ecstatic to find these babies. I'm amazed at how sweet and docile they are, although I'm pretty sure this may change in the next couple of weeks.

4. Miss Lydia

I have just under 2 weeks before mine arrive I can't wait to snuggle some ducklings.

5. cluckmecoop7

cluckmecoop7 Songster

Jan 4, 2019
    NE USA
    What cute duckies!

6. Jbently28

Jbently28 Songster

May 7, 2018
    Louisiana
    What kind are you getting?

7. Miss Lydia

3 Runners to add to my collection lol. Plus I have a Salmon Faverolle sitting on 2 Runner duck eggs.

8. Jbently28

Jbently28 Songster

May 7, 2018
    Louisiana
    I'm thinking I may have some new ducklings soon that I wasn't aware of. I had thought that one of my buff orpington hens had gone missing. I hadn't seen her in a week and a half. My chickens free range during the day, so I was afraid that a hawk had taken her. Yesterday, out of nowhere she was back in the yard. My WH duck had also become very temperamental the last week. She's normally very friendly and docile. She had gotten to where when you got near her she would quack louder than ever and shake her tail at you. I was suspicious a couple of weeks ago that she was close to going broody for the 1st time because I wasn't finding anymore duck eggs. She is my only laying duck at the time. There have been several days that we couldn't find her but she would magically appear out of nowhere. Well yesterday when my hen appeared I watched and they both disappeared back underneath our shop. I found a couple of duck eggs underneath our shop close to the edge, but couldn't tell if there were anymore under it, but now I definitely have my suspicions. I guess we'll find out soon enough. I just walked out to feed everyone and they are missing once again.

9. Miss Lydia

Sneaky things aren't they. I had one of my OEGB hens think up above our home under our spare goose house was a good place to nest can't even see under there let alone get anything out her being so tiny she managed to get under there well last year when she did it my husband jacked the house up and we got her and her 11 eggs out and I set her up inside the coop. This year my husband had a heart attack and hasn't been able to do much while recupping and something got up under there and killed her. Most likely a weasel or mink since the space is so tiny. I sure hope yours will be safe nesting under your shop.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    LilyLoo and quackiemama like this.
  10. CrystaBub

CrystaBub Introducing Rosy and Posy!

Mar 17, 2018
    Shenandoah Valley
    AAWWWWWW @Jbently28 they are so precious!!!!! I just love the chocolate Ancona too - you hit the jackpot!!!!

LilyLoo, quackiemama and Miss Lydia like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: