My New Babies....

Tressa27884

Songster
8 Years
Mar 27, 2011
Cooper, Texas
Today I brought home a Blue Silkie Bantam and a White Crested Black Polish Bantam both two days old. I was concerned that my older chicks [who are about three weeks old], so I divided my brooder in half and put the new babies in on one side and my older babies on the other. I came back into the room about fifteen minutes later and the lighter of my two EE chicks was on the Bantam side of the brooder cuddled up with the Blue Silkie under her wing. No idea how she managed to get over there, but she did.

Eventually all the big chicks worked their way over to the Bantam side, so I took down the barrier, almost all the bigger hens have spent time snuggling with the babies. I was sooooo worried the little-uns would get hurt, pecked, run over and am delighted to say I was wrong. They've all been wonderful to the new chicks....YIPPEE!

Awwwwwww!

I've never had any trouble mixing chicks of different ages, as long as I didn't put newly-hatched bantam chicks in with LF chicks older than two weeks of age. The littlest ones just needed a bit more time to strengthen and be able to get out of the way of the older chicks. They still got bowled over now and then, but popped right back up, perfectly fine. And older chicks have often snuggled with the littler ones, so I know exactly how cute it is!

wee.gif
PICS PLEASE!!!

Back
Top Bottom