My new baby! (Can someone give me an ID please!)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TinaK, Nov 12, 2011.

1. TinaK

TinaK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Australia
    Hi guys,

My hubby spent a week away at work and returned with 2 new babies! A little duck and a turkey! I've never had a duck or a turkey so it's all a bit new! I was also totally unprepared for the new arrivals...

Here is a pic of my new baby! [​IMG] I just love it's yellow feet!

[​IMG]

I was hoping that someone could tell me what breed he / she is? I'll have to find some time to do some forum browsing and lots of reading but I have guests at the moment so I don't want to disappear into the computer room for too long!!! [​IMG]

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    It looks like a muscovy to me but I'm no expert

3. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Chillin' With My Peeps

No expert here either,but having quite a few muscoveys myself,I would have to say it looks like one to me also...

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Looks like a Muscovy to me, too.

5. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Beautiful muscovy! I have mostly Runners with two muscovy's mixed in, and the scoveys are by FAR the friendliest, even though they were raised on a farm and practically feral. LOVE the scoveys. Congrats!

6. TinaK

TinaK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Australia
    thank you for the replies!! Hopefully he/she turns into a friendly thing! It's already been earmarked as a pet... unlike the poor Turkey who has already been designated as dinner!

Now I just need to start handling it I suppose? I'd like to make it quite tame if possible!

Poor ducky tried to sneak in with the big chooks today! That didn't go well.... the three fat ladies stood well back assessing the situation... then when ducky got too close they just tried jumping on it! Poor ducky... it seems to think that the chooks look like good company and spent most of the day admiring the chickens through the fence! at least it has the tiny turkey for company!

7. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I have just raised a single turkey with my ducklings chookn - its been quite fun actually to have something different around here.

A guy at work has a mother in law always sending in eggs for me to incubate for her. The turkey pretty much thinks is is a duck now but being so slow growing its been with three different groups of ducks. Its always been such a sweet thing, and very attached to its ducky friends.

Hope things work out well will the duck- plenty of handling will kepp it used to you- and food is a good way to tempt it as well.

8. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Treats are a great way to help bond the duckling to you. Every time you reach in, have a treat in your hand--it will start running to you every time it sees you. Peas, bird seed, and meal worms all make great treats. Good luck!

9. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Looks similar to one of mine, Stinky.
    [​IMG]

That is Stinky in the back.

And this is Stinky today at 14 weeks.
    [​IMG]

Everyone thought he was Muscovy. I don't even think he is a Muscovy mix now though he is the same size as my Muscovy drakes who are about 5-6 weeks older. So, who knows. [​IMG]

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:very pretty though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by