My new baby chicks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by agernaat89, Jun 14, 2016.

1. agernaat89

agernaat89 Just Hatched

Jun 14, 2016
    Detroit, Texas
    Hi. My name is Ashley. I had 6 chickens that were about 8 weeks old (araucanas) and unfortunately we had a tornado which broke the latches and stray dogs got to them. After a couple months of mourning (not your typical chicken mom, i get TOO attached) i decided to try again. We couldnt find any araucanas in our area again. Went to atwoods and they only had a group of mixed chicks. In fact the guy didnt even know what they were, i had to look them up. I have two rhode island reds, 4 australorps, and 1 white one (still not sure on what it is.) I asked the guy if they would be ok living together, he said of course. Here is my question and please dont judge because im new at this. Can one rooster fit a flock of mixed chicks or do i need a rooster for each breed? If so then how will they live together without fighting? Was the atwoods guy wrong about being able to have such a mixed breed starting out? Please help

2. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    I have a mixed flock with just one breed of rooster... no big deal...

3. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    All will be good.

My only concern is with a mix like that were they all in the same pen?

they didn't have a tag like "pan fry special" on the bin?

Or pullets or straight run (sr).

Only reason I ask is you might have more males than you think unless it was marked pullets.

4. agernaat89

agernaat89 Just Hatched

Jun 14, 2016
    Detroit, Texas
    It was marked assorted pullets and the employee that was grabbing them acted like he could already tell wuth some breeds but at the same time, he didnt even know what breed was what so not sure i trust him. But the bin itself was marked "assorted pullets"

5. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    That is good. Pullets all hens. 90 percent of the time.

Hope you have good luck with the set of chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by