My new baby salmon faverolles are die-ing!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stormylady, Apr 12, 2009.

1. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I recieved 20 chicks on friday 5 of which were the Salmon Faverolles, The chicks I wanted the most, 1 died last night but he was obviously weak, from the start, tired more than usual, 2 died some time in the night, they appeared perfectly healthy yesterday! All of the other breeds are doing great that came with them, Barred rocks, blue cochins,Barnevelders, Why just the faverolles! I got them from Ideal and this is the first time this has happened, The last two are still eating and drinking but aren't as thrifty as the other breeds either, I hope I don't lose them too! I just don't understand why only one breed is not thriveing! I took the two remaining chick out of the brooder box and put them in the empty incubator, just so they would be warm and unstressed,I gave them the growgel+B and also gave them some sugar water. anyother advice would be more than welcome. Im going to email Ideal and tell them about the chic ks and see what they say. Sandy

2. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I wish I could offer you some advice as to why they're dying. How sad! Ideal has a 1-800#, it's 1-800-243-3257. That way you can call them (I prefer dealing with a live person in situations like this). They may just credit you back the cost of the birds since I small number. Good luck with Ideal.

Sonja

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Not sure why they are dying. It looks like the stress from shipping did them in. I lost one Faverolle chick from MM and the rest of them did fine. The Faverolles I got from private breeders are hardy and when I shipped them to my friend, every one of them died so I scratch that off as shipping stress. I kept half of the brood and they did well and grew up into adults without any problems.

4. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    I got salmon favorells from Ideal 2 weeks ago and they are doing great. I picked them up myself and had them in the brooder in 2 hrs. I think shipping causes great stress and some breeds don't do as well. Ideal will do whats right by you i'm sure. They have been great to me. Hope you other 2 chicks do well. Good Luck

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    This may not be true, but I have heard that faverolle chicks do not ship well. Are they getting enough food and water? Are they warm like 80-85 degree heat?

6. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    They seem to be eating very well, and drinking too, I have vitamins in there water, and the brooder is still at 95 degrees because they are so very young. I hope the other two make it, I just checked on them and they are running around and look alittle perkier this afternoon. Hopefully they will continue to improve. I am sure that Ideal will make it right, its just very sad and really very depressing to have them die on me and Im not able to do anything to help them. But I just don't know what else to do for them. Sandy

The Faverolle chicks were smaller than the other chicks. I wonder if that had anything to do with it. They were not bantams . So............I just don't know. I wish I were more chick smart.

7. barnwife

barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    I had this EXACT same situation with Ideal last month...just different breeds.

I had cochins, brahmas, andalusians, fayoumi, and cubalaya.

For whatever reason, the cubalayas were running around great, then one would get weak and die within 12 hours. It happened to three of the five chicks, only the one breed. They also had grogel and sugar water.

I emailed Ideal about it when it started happening, and they credited me back the three chicks. I did NOT ask for a refund, I just emailed them about it to see if maybe it was just a weak breed to begin with or whatnot. They offered the refund immediately, and some advice about baby chicks (which I already knew, I've been doing the chicken thing awhile now).

Good luck with your faverolles!

8. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    So sorry about the chicks but it is possible that one breed may not be as thrifty and hardy as the other breeds and are getting pushed and ran over by the others. You did the right thing in separating them for now so they are not being pushed around by the others. Good luck with the remaining two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by