my new babys

Discussion in 'Geese' started by lizzyandTreversrescue, May 13, 2011.

1. lizzyandTreversrescue

lizzyandTreversrescue Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    auburndale
    this is my 2 new baby geese carmen and santana they are soo cute but i have a problem how do i tell if they are male or female lol

[​IMG]

2. augustwest

augustwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2010
    North central mass
    I cant help- Im new to this!

Can you tell me what kind the black footed gosling is? Someone brought me one found wandering in a park with 2 duckings. The are imprinted on humans. I'm trying to figure out what breed she is- she s identical to yours! Thanks!

3. lizzyandTreversrescue

May 1, 2011
    auburndale
    Quote:probably toulouse idk what breed santana is yet

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The black footed one is not a toulouse. It could be an Canadian, African, or Brown Chinese (can't see the beak well enough) but it is definitely not a Toulouse. The other is most likely a White Chinese, so the dark one could be Brown Chinese.

5. DuckDuckDuckGoose

DuckDuckDuckGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    The Great Northwest
    Quote:I believe tha the brown one is a African, just like mine. now I can see how he is goin to look when he gets that size. BEAUTIFUL GEESE!
    [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    T.

6. lizzyandTreversrescue

May 1, 2011
    auburndale
    Quote:ohh ok thnks

7. DuckDuckDuckGoose

May 11, 2011
    The Great Northwest

Actually, now that I look at the pic. closer, he/she really resembles a Canadian. But thats just a guess on my part too. there are alot of diffrences between my Gos. and yours since I compared the pics.
    Thanks,
    T.

8. Gracie9205

Gracie9205 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    Lake Charles, LA

Actually, now that I look at the pic. closer, he/she really resembles a Canadian. But thats just a guess on my part too. there are alot of diffrences between my Gos. and yours since I compared the pics.
    Thanks,
    T.

You dark goose is an African or Chinese. You can tell from the convex shape of the bill just between the eyes. And DDDG, I am willing to bet money that yours IS NOT an African. It may be an African mix, but is much more likely to be a Canadian. That beak is a dead giveaway! Have you checked out Metzers blog about it?

http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-to-differentiate-african-and.html

Lizzy = African/Chinese
    DDDG = mix breed or Canadian

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  9. DuckDuckDuckGoose

May 11, 2011
    The Great Northwest
    Quote:Actually, now that I look at the pic. closer, he/she really resembles a Canadian. But thats just a guess on my part too. there are alot of diffrences between my Gos. and yours since I compared the pics.
    Thanks,
    T.

You dark goose is an African or Chinese. You can tell from the convex shape of the bill just between the eyes. And DDDG, I am willing to bet money that yours IS NOT an African. It may be an African mix, but is much more likely to be a Canadian. That beak is a dead giveaway! Have you checked out Metzers blog about it?

Lizzy = African/Chinese

Ya I checkd it out. Thanks. I was told today that theThe guy at the feed store didn't really know too much about Geese (the guy that does, wasn't in the day I went in) So I asked them if they had any mixed breeds....they said yes, African/canadians. So I guess that is what I have cause my gos. looks just like them. Since its a mix, I guess we all were right! Thanks for all your help in figuring out what my baby is. The litle brown buddy he has with him in his pics. is a Khaki Campbell duckling.
    Thanks
    T.

10. Gracie9205

Gracie9205 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    Lake Charles, LA
    Quote:You dark goose is an African or Chinese. You can tell from the convex shape of the bill just between the eyes. And DDDG, I am willing to bet money that yours IS NOT an African. It may be an African mix, but is much more likely to be a Canadian. That beak is a dead giveaway! Have you checked out Metzers blog about it?

Lizzy = African/Chinese

Ya I checkd it out. Thanks. I was told today that theThe guy at the feed store didn't really know too much about Geese (the guy that does, wasn't in the day I went in) So I asked them if they had any mixed breeds....they said yes, African/canadians. So I guess that is what I have cause my gos. looks just like them. Since its a mix, I guess we all were right! Thanks for all your help in figuring out what my baby is. The litle brown buddy he has with him in his pics. is a Khaki Campbell duckling.
    Thanks
    T.

Mystery solved [​IMG] Post some pics once it feathers out! I'd like to see what that mixture looks like!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by