My New Black Bantam Cochins - Show Critique ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jacklynn, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Jacklynn

Jacklynn Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm getting these two on Saturday from a breeder quite far away, so I'm really excited.

I want to show them at the end of the month. They are 2010 hatch.

Here's the rooster
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the hen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the pair
    [​IMG]

Thank you !

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  2. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    not bad. Depending on when they were hatched in '10 they could fill out more

3. Jacklynn

Quote:The hen just started laying about a month ago.
    I will find out the exact month when I pick them up.

[​IMG]

4. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    well if i see correctly then the hen has nice wing carriage in my opinion. I'm almost positive you want an good tucked wing to let the fluff come out.

5. Jacklynn

Quote:Woot ! I have a barred rooster, he's nice, except for his wing carriage. Maybe I can hatch some eggs from this hen & breed something back to my rooster eventually.
    [​IMG]

6. WA4-Hpoultrymom

WA4-Hpoultrymom Never enough coops...

Feb 5, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    My Coop
    The rooster's comb is missing some points, and his eyes seem pretty dark. They should be closer in color to the hens eyes, but that could be an issue with your photo. Other wise they look good from what I can see. Have fun with them!

7. Jacklynn

Thanks for the critiques everyone !

WA4-Hpoultrymom - I think his eyes are that dark, I'll take more pics though when I bring them home.

I'm getting 3 black chicks from a nice lady I know, she has really nice birds, so they can help in my showing/breeding program !

Thanks again !

8. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    There not bad, the cockerel I can tell is young he is flat chested( he will come out of this with age) and lacking feathers in the cusion! I have some 6 month old black males that are pretty close to what he looks like! The pulleys face is way to light give h
    Them both some corn and some vitamin and electrolytes to get her face darkened back up! This you don't want when showing!
    Your male will be your better show bird!
    Hope this helps [​IMG]

9. Jacklynn

Quote:I feed my current chickens a mix of high protein chick starter, layer krum & scratch, it really brightened up the red in my rosecombs faces ! I'll also have her vitamins & electrolytes like you suggested !

I prefer the male of the two, a friend of mine likes the hen more. Haha.

Thank you ! It's a big help !

[​IMG]

10. Jacklynn

I picked them up today, those pics were from a couple months ago. They have REALLY filled out. They are gorgeous. They are like WOW. Pics coming tomorrow !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by