My new black orpington roo

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Buster, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Specklehen and missprissy, this one is for you because you two asked for pics. My new black orpington rooster arrived today safely in the back of my parents' minivan from sherriekim on the other side of the state. I believe he is 10 weeks old now. He is still feathering out. He is the son of the mighty Suede. Here are some pics. He is very sweet according to salamander.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

He'll be a BIG one, if he's anything like his 16 week old brother I have. The blacks seem like they're larger than the blues, even. Congrats on your new Son of Suede!

3. sara

sara Title Needed Here

He's cute!

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Woot! What a pretty boy you have! I bet he turns out to be huge. It seems the blacks get bigger than the blues - and the blues aren't small by any means.

You'll have to update us with photos every month as he changes and grows.

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Thanks a lot! I will keep you updated with pics. I have some blue orp chicks coming next month too, as well as hatching eggs. I can't wait. By the way, this is the youngest chicken I have owned to date so it is nice to have one I can work with and calm down, although he is fairly calm as it is, especially considering that he was moved today.

6. chickenshadow

chickenshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Iowa
    So wait a minute. Suede can produce black orps? Is that why my orp roo is black, not
    blue??? Does Suede have a rainbow in his vent? My Orp is twice the size of my Buff orp
    hens and is only 6 months old.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Now, you know when you breed blue to blue you can get blue, black or splash, Mr. Shadow. We discussed this point way back when. Black is good. Breeding in black keeps the blues produced from him darker and richer.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yep, thats right, SpeckledHen.....most of us keep blacks in our herd to get some blues in future generations!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by