My new blood!!!

Kaceyx73

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 14, 2010
Last week I lost nearly my entire flock to someones wayward dogs. I lost my flock manager, Mr.Vic, a beautiful black tailed buff Marans that wasnt show quality, but spent his days in my back yard proving himself to be a fine flock leader and great all around boy. He is also my avatar pic. Also, 10 year old hens, and 10 chicks. The only survivor, my second in command, Roo, used his feet and ran. Took me a few days to get him back into the pen from the woods.

Yesterday I picked up 2 new birds.

Lucian, a copper blue French Marans, and Selene, a copper black French Marans.

I don't know about true show quality standards, but Lucian is handsome boy nonetheless. He is about 8 months old, and already dominating Roo, who is just over a year old. I've already repaired the damage from the attack, corrected every weakness I could find, and plan on fortifying the coops defenses even further.

73816_lucian_and_selene.jpg

73816_lucian_the_new_boy.jpg

Leaving shortly to pick up a few hens from a friend.

Thanks everyone. I just got back with 2 hens from my friend. We ordered 25 chicks from mypetchicken last year and split the order. After getting them in the pen and letting them introduce themselves, I noticed something funny. We have/had hatchery based Rhode Island Reds. These 2 from my friend had to stretch their necks to look over Lucian's back, and they aren't exactly little hens, by any means.

I did have the opportunity to see Lucian's father and his uncle, and wow... very big boys.

I'll add these over on the Marans thread and see what the experts think.

Back
Top Bottom