My new Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco - HATCH! pg. 6 (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by raindrop, Mar 23, 2009.

1. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Songster

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    Oh, cool. I've never done it and amthinking I should get one. Thanks so much!

2. blueoval1

blueoval1 Songster

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    Mine is working great everything is steady. This is an awesome bator.

3. raindrop

raindrop Songster

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Day 19 on my duck eggs, everything is going very well. Temperature is very stable. I fill the water troughs about 2/3 full every 3-4 days, no spilling. I turn the incubator by hand every 8ish hours.
    I candled today and the air cell looks like the picture of the 14 day air cell. I have lowered the humidity from 50% to 40-42% and will candle again in a few days. I have been spraying the eggs nightly.
    I hope they will be okay.

4. mediazeal

mediazeal Songster

Feb 26, 2009
    raindrop
    I thought my air sacks looked a little big too so I raised the humidity a little
    fingers crossed for both of us

5. pascopol

pascopol Songster

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Mine does not have autocraddle either.

Turning Brinsea ECO 20 manually gives me something to do, since this thing holds the temp so well it is downright boring and annoying to some extent (just kidding) after struggling and fighting with "Little Monster" (LG)

LOL

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  6. Julie08

Julie08 Songster

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I've used my "junk" stryo bator for about 10 hatches now hatched nearly ever egg I ever put in it. Every hatch has been over 90% I have hatched standard and bantam eggs also duck eggs. Not bad for "junk" I reckon!

7. I have the Octagon 20 Advance with the auto turner and I have found it to be so easy for a hatching newbie like me. I just ordered the Eco version on Friday without the turner and expect it to be about as easy. Based upon how easily the Advanced regains temps and humidity after opening, I am planning to swap the covers once per day to make sure that the humidity and temp are precisely where I want them to be according to the readout on the Advanced cover. I have had no temperature fluctuations with this incubator at all.

Once opened, the Advanced regains temps and humidity within about 1 1/2 minutes...sometimes, even faster. I do use sponges in the incubator to help to regulate the humidity all of the time but, especially during the hatch. My house has forced air heat and a fireplace, so it can be kind of dry. I have some more quail eggs that should be hatching either today or tomorrow.

8. pascopol

pascopol Songster

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Great idea!

Gives you something to do, since you do not have to worry about temp up and downs, deadly "spikes" all styrobators are famous for.

9. mediazeal

mediazeal Songster

Feb 26, 2009
    Quote:Ooo, TheMartianChick, that's brilliant!
    What humidity did you use for hatching? I'm on day 18 right now.

Quote:Good luck with the quail! What are you doing with them once they hatch? Do you have an aviary or do you let them free range?

10. bigjohn

bigjohn Songster

May 24, 2008
    Georgia
    I am on day two with 48 quail eggs inside. Unbelievable temp stability. Never had an incubator this size with such accuracy. My humidity is 40% and I am going to let it run a bit low then raise it the last 3 days. This is with just one of the water trays filled.

It IS almost boring since normally I spend so much time monitoring the temp/humidity to make sure it correct.

I keep checking it like there is supposed to be some necessary adjustments or something that needs to be done. But it is working so perfectly and quiet.

One thing that has impressed me, too, is the fact that if the power were to fail, it would be a very easy task to simply plug it into a car cigarette lighter plug with a cheap laptop inverter and keep right on going. It is small and compact and easy to carry. It could even go to work with me if necessary. No one would even know it was there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: