My new Brooder box!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by downhome, May 19, 2010.

1. downhome

downhome Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    genesse county, MI
    I planned to build a hatcher,but did not get to it in time.so before I do any more hatchs and also find homes for this motley crew, I will have to have a hatcher.

but in the mean time I needed a new brooder as the first one I had got recommisioned as the bachlour pad.
    and the plastic tote was not going to cut it.

so here ya go thought I would share.
    top view

[​IMG]

I only had plywood scraps and a few 2x4's, the lid is a single pane window hinges attached on the back and a latch on the front (latch is to keep the dogs out.) I did not have enough plywood to use to close off the top so I cut slats out of some scrap 2x4's and spaced them to allow some ventilation. on the side are some air holes also.

view with right side slats.

[​IMG]

I use a towel to regulate the air flow out of the slat grate

[​IMG]

latch on windo lid, I did the window cause everone kept opening the brooder I had them in.

[​IMG]

top view showing slats on both sides.

[​IMG]

lid open

[​IMG]

side view with air holes

[​IMG]

from previous experience I also added a feed station to try and keep the mess down.

[​IMG]

and a couple of my cooler looking mutts

pepe as in la'pew, has two whit stripes on the back

[​IMG]

darth as in darth maul,

[​IMG]

and someone who does not care for the poparazi.

[​IMG]

currently up to 99 chicks with 90 more to hatch over the next few days.

DISCLAIMER--- any of my ideas are free to use by anyone, all I ask is if you use any of them please send a donation to support my chicken addiction (jokeing of course , about the donation that is [​IMG])

2. Quailbuddy

Quailbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    I like your borooder set up [​IMG] Wow though thats alot of chicks

3. downhome

downhome Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    genesse county, MI
    Thanks!
    well you can check out my bator in the incubator contest it holds 300 eggs and my first batch (I have to stager the loading not enough hens to fill it at once)
    I only got 50% or so hatch rate if they would of all hatched it would of been 105 off the bat, next hatch in line was around 90%
    50 chicks. if the next three trays give me that kind of hatch I will need to build another brooder.
    though Im thinking larger outside big chick kind of thing and save this one for the newbies.

4. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Lol that one in the last picture with his head up high looks like tweety bird

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by